Round up of TSDL Youths Soccer

Tipperary Youth Cup 2nd Round

Tipperary Youth Cup 2nd Round


(After Extra-Time)

Clonmel Celtic created a shock in the Tipperary Youth Cup after beating a highly fancied Cahir Park side 3-2 after extra time in a tie played in Clonmel last Saturday.

The result was probably all the more surprising considering the heavy defeat Celtic suffered in a league encounter in Cahir a couple of weeks earlier. In fairness to Celtic they responded well to that big setback and produced a much improved performance. Celtic were well organised throughout and didn’t allow Cahir too many goal scoring opportunities. Celtic made the breakthrough on 25 minutes when Eoin Kearney fired home from 18 yards. However, Cahir were level just before the break with a penalty that was duly converted by Liam Casey.

Cahir had more possession in the second half but Celtic kept their shape and discipline and remained in the tie thanks in part to some fine goalkeeping from Jake McDonald. Celtic regained the lead on 60 minutes when Eoin Mordaunt slotted home after the Cahir keeper had blocked Jay Mullery’s initial effort. Celtic then squandered a great opportunity when they missed a penalty and it looked as if it could have been a costly when Cahir equalised through Gerry Cronin with minutes remaining to take the game to extra time.

Celtic started the extra time on the attack and got what proved to be the winner when Eoin Mordaunt was again on hand to score after Michael Nugent’’s effort had been saved by the Cahir keeper. A sold defensive display saw Celtic hold out for a memorable and deserved win.

John Quirke Jewellers Youth League

Ashley Laslett double grabs victory for Town



Defending champions Clonmel Town had to come from behind twice against Two Mile Borris and take a step closer to lifting back-to-back TSDL Youth League titles following this seven-goal thriller at the Dr. Pat O’Callaghan Complex, Clonmel last Saturday.

Clonmel Town started slowly but got into their stride and took the lead after 35 minutes when Mark O’Reilly nodded home a cross from Ashley Laslett. Borris equalised through Callum O’Connor on the stroke of half-time to the shock of the home side and make it 1-1 at the break.

Two Mile Borris with nothing to play for but pride took a 2-1 lead thanks to Kieran Hennessey on 68 minutes. From this point the game was turned on its head with Harry O’Connor rifled home the equaliser to the top corner only for Kieran Hennessy to add his second, putting Borris in front again at 3-2. However, the visitors’ lead did not last long as former Borris player Ashley Laslett drove home with a super effort from outside the area. The final ten minutes was helter-skelter as Ashley Laslett again struck home the winner from an acute angle to claim all three points for a very relieved, but undefeated Clonmel Town. 

Saints end campaign on winning note


St. Michael’s FC ended their Youth League campaign on winning note picking up maximum points against Clerihan FC at the Community Sports Complex, Clerihan last Saturday.

St. Michael’s who are going to end up without a trophy at Youth level for a second consecutive season, opened with a two-goal blitz in the opening seven minutes. Mark Hogan opened the scoring and Denis Buckley made it 2-0 to the visitors. Clerihan FC with a Division 2 Youth Cup decider against Peake Villa still to come settled after that early setback but failed to breakdown a resolute St. Michael’s rearguard.

It was a similar scenario in the second half with Clerihan doing all the pressing, but dogged defending coupled with poor finishing kept St. Michael’s lead intact. With five minutes remaining and against the run of play St. Michael’s made it 3-0 courtesy of Kevin Stapleton with a breakaway goal.

Peake Villa wins first Youth League Division 2 crown


A hat-trick from Brian Bourke helped Peake Villa secure an impressive victory over fellow title contenders Bansha Celtic and in the process added the Youth League Division 2 title for season 2012-13 at the Tower Ground, Thurles last Saturday.

Peake Villa who knew that victory over Bansha Celtic would secure the title took the lead through Brian Bourke after 5 minutes and from that early breakthrough, there was no looking back for the Thurles outfit. Villa doubled the lead when Mattie Stakelum made it 2-0 after 15 minutes and then Brian Bourke with his second made it 3-0 after 23 minutes. Then a two-goal blitz from Adam Garrett after 40 minutes and Mattie Stakelum with his second after 43 minutes ended this game as a contest.

A shell-shocked Bansha Celtic who knew that only a win would keep them in touch saw Sean Breen give them a glimmer of hope on 60 minutes. However, Billy McCarthy restored the Villa five-goal advantage on 65 minutes and from then on, the champagne corks were popping. Bansha Celtic did add a second from Sean Breen on 75 minutes, but it was just a consolation before Brian Bourke made it 7-2 after 80 minutes to complete his hat-trick and secure the Thurles side their first league title at this level since 2003.