North Tipperary & District League

Don’t miss our round-up of all the action in the North Tipperary & District League.

Don’t miss our round-up of all the action in the North Tipperary & District League.

NT&DL Tipperary Cup

Ballymackey ‘B’ and Moneygall ‘B’ contested this Tipperary Cup first round game played in Ballinree with the home side emerging victorious on a slender one nil score line. Michael Connolly proved to be the Ballymackey hero after netting the only goal of the encounter midway through the opening half.

Lough Derg ‘A’ had too much strength in depth against Shannon Rangers to progress to the 3rd round of the Tipperary Cup with a 5-2 victory. Jamie Stuart led the way for the Ballina side with a brace while Jason Comley, Dermot McCarthy and Christopher Monaghan were also on target for the winners; John Flannery got both goals for Shannon Rangers.

Nenagh AFC ‘B’ recorded a 3-1 away win over Rearcross in the Tipperary Cup last Sunday; Declan O’Toole had given the home side the lead eleven minutes in to the tie, however Danny Butler brought Nenagh back in to the game with an equalizer four minutes before the break following good play by Tommy Martin and Gary Byrne. The Brickfields side took up a 2-1 lead when Jo Jo Dillion scored with a smashing free kick effort. Danny Butler clinched the win late in the game after lobbing the keeper from the right hand side of the box.

Puckane romped to a four nil victory over Clodiagh Rangers ‘B’ in this Tipperary Cup game played in Drombane on Sunday morning. Dermot Hogan scored twice in the 20th and 50th minute respectively. Joe Gallagher made it two nil to the home side in the 35th minute while Tom Seymour completed the rout for Puckane fifteen minutes from time.

Streamstown were convincing 6-1 winners over Borrisokane ‘B’ to ensure safe passage to the third round, Stephen Murphy, Brian Kirwan and Christopher Murphy all netted a brace apiece for the home side, while Terry McDonald scored the Borrisokane consolation goal.

Ricky Fogarty Cup

Cloughjordan ‘A’ faced a tricky way tie to Sallypark ‘A’ in the last eight of the Ricky Fogarty Cup, however three goals in the opening half from Simon Malone on ten minutes and quick fire brace in a five minute spell on the half hour mark from Kevin Kennedy decided the outcome. Sallypark battled gamely in the second half but had to wait until the 84th minute for the breakthrough when Brian Freeman found the net, however it was a case of too little too late.

Thurles Town cruised in to the semi-finals of the Ricky Fogarty Cup with a competent 6-2 result away to Borrisokane. The visiting side got a dream start when Tom Brophy scored with just two minutes gone, Padraig Fogarty then scored twice on the trot including one from the spot to give Thurles Town a three nil lead. Thurles Town continued to apply the heat as Jamie O’Connor made it four nil with a well taken goal. Borrisokane were thrown a life line when John Doyle pulled a goal back just before break. Thurles Town resumed control in the second half as Padraig Fogarty completed his hat-trick. Borrisokane kept plugging as Brian Donnelly got his name on the score sheet late on. Sean O’Connell capped off a fine win for Thurles Town with a well taken penalty in the dying moments of the game.

Nora Kennedy Cup

Kilcommon welcomed Clonmore to Kilcommon for this Second Division Cup tie and lost out to the Second Division League leaders on a 4-1 score line. A well contested opening half saw the sides tied on a nil all scoreline at the break. Clonmore opened their account with thirteen minutes gone in the second half with a well taken free kick from Alan O’Riordan. The visitors kept the pressure on and doubled their advantage six minutes later through Diarmuid Gleeson. An Eamon Corcoran strike on the 70th minute saw the Kilcommon custodian produce a fine save, however Tommy Deegan followed up to score with a chipped effort. The home side didn’t throw in the towel and reduced the deficit in the 87th minute when Eamon Naughton scored, however Clonmore were to have the last say when Alan O’Riordan scored a fortuitous goal with seconds remaining.

Premier Division League

Nenagh AFC narrowed the gap at the top of the table following a resounding 7-1 win over Borroway Rovers at Loughtagalla Park. Michael O’Gorman and Michael Hogan netted a brace a piece while Jerome Ashman, Brian Quinn and an own goal made up the tally for the winners. Damien Grimes scored the lone reply from Borroway Rovers.

First Division League

BT Harps ‘B’ and Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ played out a one all draw in this league tie played in Templemore. It was stalemate at the midway stage, however Robbie Carr gave Nenagh Celtic the advantage with a cracking effort on 74 minutes, BT Harps mounted a late challenge and got back on par five minutes from time courtesy of a Mark Stakelum finish.

Thurles Celtic picked up an important win with a two nil away result against Arra Rovers last Sunday afternoon. The sides were scoreless at the break; however Mark Quinlan gave the Thurles side the breakthrough on 66 minutes after scoring from a Colm Breen assist and then Colm Breen made sure of the win with a good finish from an Andy Landers pass. Thurles Celtic had strong defensive displays on the day from Jamie Barry, John Leahy, Kevin Quinn, Tom Grodski and goalkeeper Stephen Spillane.

Third Division League

League Leaders Holycross ‘B’ kept the pressure on at the top of the table with a 4-1 result over Cloughjordan ‘B’ at the Cloughjordan venue on Sunday.

The visitors raced in to a three nil lead thanks to a Jason O’Brien double hit which was complemented with a Jo Jo O’Meara strike. Cloughjordan pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time after Tom Williams converted from the spot.

Holycross dominated for long spells in the second half and wrapped it up ten minutes from time when Jo Jo O’Meara scored his second of the day.

Gurtagarry came on top against Nenagh Celtic ‘C’ on a narrow 3-2 score line. Ronnie Kinane set Gurtagarry on their way after ten minutes, Dinny Corcoran made it two nil midway through the half.

The away side kept the pressure on and stretched it to three on the hour mark.

Nenagh Celtic rallied after this and pulled a goal back through Johnny Donnellan who scored with twenty minutes to go and then Willie Conney set up a tense finish after hitting the net on 81 minutes; however Gurtagarry dug deep in the remaining minutes to grind out the win.

Noreside Celtic and Lough Derg ‘B’ shared the spoils on a one all score line in this league game played in Montore. The home side took the lead with a Prionsias Matthews strike midway through the first half, however Lough Derg pegged it back level before the break thanks to a Brian McInerney goal. Both sides had chances in the second half; however it finished one all at the end of ninety minutes.

Youths League

Ardcroney secured full points with a comprehensive five nil victory over Nenagh Celtic on Saturday afternoon.

The home side was three goals to the good at the midway stage courtesy of finishes from Kieran Lillis, Chris Fogarty and Aidan Boyle.

The league leaders kept the pressure on again in the second half as Shane Stapleton made if four nil five minutes after the restart. Shane Stapleton was in the action again on 55 minutes to score his second of the outing to cap off a convincing win for the League leaders.

Nenagh AFC Youths had too much fire power for Clodiagh Rangers on a 5-1 score line in this league fixture played in Drombane last Saturday. The Nenagh marksmen were Danny Butler who netted a brace while Craig McDonald, Christopher Ryan and Peter Ryan were also on the scoresheet, Sean Ryan netted the Clodiagh Rangers consolation goal.