Search our Archive


Arravale Rovers justify favouritism to overcome Cashel and win title with ease

West u-21 FC ‘A’ Final

West u-21 FC ‘A’ Final

Arravale Rovers 1-18

Cashel King Cormac’s 1-6

Arravale Rovers came into this final in Dundrum last Sunday as firm favourites having won all their games in the league section. They qualified for the final as the top team on points, with wins over Aherlow Gaels and Golden Kilfeacle, and four weeks ago had a comprehensive 6-12 to 4-2 victory over Cashel King Cormacs. Cashel then defeated Golden Kilfeacle after a replay in the semifinal to book a final spot. But on a weekend of surprises on the playing fields of the West there was no surprise here as Rovers had a fairly comprehensive victory over Cashel. Indeed Cashel’s goal, coming from a goalkeeping blunder, was the last kick of the game.

Cashel opened with a point from a free by Seamus Reade after two minutes but James Hogan levelled almost immediately. Then Johnny Lowry and Seamus Reade swopped points to leave the sides level after ten minutes. Arravale Rovers tagged on three unanswewred points from Tony Burns, Darragh Coughlan and James Hogan to lead 0-5 to 0-2 at the end of the first quarter. The Cashel half back line had difficulty with the Rovers half forward trio where Paddy Dalton was orchestrating most attacks. Dalton and James Kinane set up Diarmuid O’Donnell to cooly slot home a goal for the Rovers after eighteen minutes. From here on it was all one way traffic. Paddy Dalton, John Lowry and James Hogan pointed Arravale Rovers further ahead and Seamus Reade replied for Cashel to leave the Rovers ahead 1-8 to 0-4 at the break, really a scant reflection on their superiority.

Captain Shane Lowry led by example with his brother Donagh and Peter Mulhair effectively closing out the Cashel attackers.

The second half began again as the first half, with Ger Slattery pointing a free for Cashel. However they failed to raise a flag for the next twenty minutes, again Ger Slattery pointing a free after twenty four minutes of the second half. Meanwhile Arravale Rovers continued to add ten points – six from the boot of their excellent place kicker, James Hogan (five from frees), James Kinane chipped in with two and Shane Leahy and Paddy Dalton scored one each. Cashel’s goal came from a long ball delivered in from Seamus Reade, the Rovers keeper caught but dropped the ball and in the confusion Seamus Reade followed up to send the ball to the net. This left the final score Arravale Rovers 1-18 Cashel K C 1-6.

It was a fine team performance in the circumstances by Arravale Rovers. They were the better organised and more skilfull outfit and Cashel struggled to keep up with the pace of their opponents, but a word of caution, this Rovers performance will not suffice against better opposition.

Cathal Minogue, Simon Delaney, Paddy Morrissey and Jonathan Grogan fought gamely in defense to stem the Rovers onslaught. Gearóid Slattery ploughed a lone furrow around midfield. Michael McDermott, Brian Quinlan and particularly Seamus Reade were prominent up front.

A minute’s silence was observed before the game as a mark of respect for Sean Doyle (RIP), brother of Cashel K.C. U21 F manager Michael Doyle.

Arravale Rovers: Paul O’Connor; Peter Mulhair, Pearse Richardson, Micheal Ryan; Donagh Leahy, Shane Leahy (0-1), Tony Byrnes (0-1); Ciarán Lowry, Emmet Fitzpatrick; Paddy Dalton (0-2), James Hogan (0-9)(0-7f), Darragh Coughlan (0-1); John Lowry (0-2), Diarmuid O’Donnell (1-0), James Kinane (0-2). Subs: Gary O’Callaghan for Diarmuid O’Donnell, Eoghan Lonergan for James Kinane, Ted Lowry for Ciaran Lowry, Ciarán Lowry for Peter Mulhair

Cashel King Cormacs: Eoin Quirke; Niall Anglim, Cathal Minogue, Shane Murphy; Paddy Morrissey, Jonathan Grogan, Simon Delaney; Gearóid Slattery(0-2f), Andrew Wallace; Eoin Ryan, Seamus Reade (1-3)(0-2f), Michael McDermott; Robert Anglim(0-1), Dylan Fitzell, Brian Quinlan. Subs: James Cummins for Eoghan Ryan, Mel Fitzgerald for Andrew Wallace, Michael K O’Dwyer for Dylan Fitzelle, Adrian O’Dwyer for Robert Anglim, Thomas Grogan fror Shane Murphy.

Referee: Tom Dawson

Galtees turn the tables on combo to reach final

West u-21 FC ‘B’ semi-final

Galtee Rovers: 1-9 Emly/Treacys 0-11

When these sides met in the league section two weeks ago, Emly/Sean Treacys had the better of Galtee Rovers in this McGrath Oil under-21 B football championship by 2-6 to 0-7. On that occasion the result could have gone either way but the winners were fortunate that goalkeeper Robert McGrath was in such fine form. So as the teams finished second and third in the league section of the competition, they had to meet again in the semi-final. So Galtee Rovers had some unfinished business and turned the tables on the combination, where, once more in a very tight game only a point separated the sides at the final whistle. It took a Brendan McGrath point to break the deadlock and give Galtee Rovers the victory and set up a final meeting with Kickhams in Golden next Saturday

The Emly Treacys combination were wind assisted in the first half and Mattie Feehan and Leonard Vance had early points. Galtee Rovers replied with points by Conor O’Sullivan and Christopher O’Halloran to level after five minutes. Brendan McGrath and Greg Kennedy then swopped points before the ‘Combo’ struck a purple patch and tagged on three unanswered scores from Adrian Dawson, Shane Carroll and Ger Egan. So after eighteen minutes Emly Treacys were comfortably ahead 0-6 to 0-3. David Finnane reduced the lead with a pointed free and following some sloppy defending Finnane again first timed a loose ball to the ‘Combo’ net to give his side a one point lead after twenty minutes. However Emly Treacys struck back with points from Adrian Dawson and Pa Quinn. Darren McGrath levelled after twenty five minutes and the Combo defended desperately for the last five minutes of the half. So at the interval the sides were level 0-8 to 1-5.

After the break Jason Ryan replaced Robert McGrath, with Pa Quinn taking over the goalkeeping duties. Brendan McGrath also went off and was replaced by Aidan Moloney and Liam Kavanagh went to wing forward with good effect. The only scores in the third quarter came from a pointed free by David Finane and another point from Adrian Dawson to leave sides level 1-6 to 0-9 after thirty six minutes. Good work by Liam Kavanagh, whose switch to the attack did much for the Galtee Rovers revival, and Sean Daly set up Christopher O’Halloran for the lead point and Damien Burke did all the hard work after soloing out of defense to increase the Galtee Rovers lead to two points. A pointed free by Adrian Dawson reduced the deficit aand from the kickout Shane Carroll put Leonard Vance through for the leveller with time running out. Then Conor O’Sullivan and Sean Daly combined to put Brendan McGrath through for the winning point. Galtee Rovers had solid defenders in Emmet Ryan, Peter Carroll and Damien Burke after a shaky start. Conor O’Sullivan was excellent around midfield and in defeense. Up front Sean Daly was a handful, while Darren McGrath, Brendan McGrath, David Finnane and Liam Kavanagh were excellent.

The ‘Combo’ too made a huge contribution to this excitiong game. Patrick McGrath, Andy O’Brien, Declan Hennessy and Sean Hickey defended valiantly. Seanie Ryan and Shane Carroll did well at midfield. Adrian Dawson, Tom Ryan, Mattie Feehan and Ger Egan caught the eye in the forwards.

Galtee Rovers: Philip O’Mahony; Pat Kavanagh, Emmet Ryan, Pat Quirke, Peter Carroll; Liam Kavanagh, Damian Burke (0-1), Ian O’Brien; Conor O’Sullivan (0-1), Kevin Power; Darren McGrath (0-2),Sean Daly, Brendan McGrath (0-1); Christopher O’Halloran (0-2), David Finane (1-2)(0-2f) Eoin White. Subs: Aiden Moloney for Brendan McGrath.

Emly/Treacys: Robert McGrath, Andy O’Brien, Patrick McGrath, Willie Mackey; Declan Hennessey, Sean Hickey, Greg Kennedy(0-1) ; Shane Carroll (0-1), Seanie Ryan; Mattie Feehan (0-1), Leonard Vance (0-2),Ger Egan (0-1), Tom Ryan, Pa Quinn (0-1), Adrian Dawson (0-4)(0-3f). Subs: Jason Ryan for Robert McGrath, David Cleary for Mattie Feehan and Darragh Kennedy for Ger Egan.

Referee: Sean Bradshaw (Kickhams)

Kickhams turn the form book on its head

West u-21 FC ‘B’ semi-final

Kickhams 0- 10 Eire Óg 0-8

Eire Óg went into this semi-final in Clonoulty on Saturday as the form team, heading the group and had also defeated Kickhams 1-13 to 1-8 in the league section three weeks ago. Two weeks ago Kickhams and Rockwell/Rosegreen fought it out for the last semi-final spot with victory going to Kickhams - so they met favourites, Éire Óg, in the semi-final last Saturday in Clonoulty. Here Kickhams threw out the form book with a top class display to win this game and now go on to meet Galtee Rovers in the final in Golden next Saturday.

This eagerly awaited semi final did not disappoint as both teams served up a cracking game with the result in doubt right up to the final whistle. Straight from the throw in the exchanges were fast and furious as Eire Óg aided by the breeze put the Kickhams defence under pressure. Eire Óg started brightly with a brace of points, only for Kickhams and David Butler in particular to take over to lead at the interval, 0-5 to 0-3. Four of Kickhams’ points came from the boot of David Butler. 

With the breeze in their favour in the second half one would have thought that Kickhams would have pulled away but it actually was the Eire Óg lads that came roaring out of the blocks and were back level and then in front by two points at the end of the third quarter, landing four points - two from Dinny Crosse without reply, to lead by two. But this Kickhams team were not about to roll over and Conor Butler got two quick points to once again level the game, Éire Óg fought back once more with a point but Kickhams were visibly getting the upper hand in key positions around the field, and with more possession came the scores as David Butler with two points and Paudie Slattery adding another pointed Kickhams to victory. For the Kickhams it was an all round team effort in overcoming a very strong opposition, displaying a dogged determination and no little skill, but, Oisin O’Mara, David Butler, Conor Butler, Stephen Griffey  and Elliot Thompson gave outstanding performances.  

Kickhams: Dean Kiely;  Jamie Quinn, Johnny Ryan, Stephen Griffey; Brian Hand, Oisin O’Mara, Elliot Thompson; Paudie Slattery (0-1), Cathal Morrissey; Dean Thompson, David Butler (0-6), Fionn Hogan; Conor Butler (0-3), Damian Hayes, Brendan Ryan.

Subs; Oisin Slattery for Damian Hayes.

Eire Óg: Jamie English; David Breen, Eoin Bradshaw, Peter O’Dwyer; John Ryan, Tom Fox, Mike Fox; Darragh Mooney, Donal O’Dwyer (0-1); Sean Breen, Joshua Quinn (0-1), Dinny Crosse (0-4, 2 frees); Michael Bradshaw, Sean Ryan, Gearoid Loughman (0-1). Subs: Cathal Coughlan (0-1) for Gearoid Loughman, Jamie O’Dwyer for Michael Bradshaw.

Referee: John Ryan (B), Cashel. 

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.