Search our Archive


Rosegreen Rangers help their promotion chances with significant away win

Tipperary Town 1 – 2 Rosegreen Rangers

Tipperary Town 1 – 2 Rosegreen Rangers

The closeness of this division was typified with this result as Rosegreen replaced Tipperary Town to be just a point outside the promotion spots, and Tipperary Town replacing Rosegreen in the relegation places.

Such is life for Division One teams this season, and this was another battle, both against the elements and each other on Sunday afternoon in Tipperary.

Blowing hot and cold all year, the visitors opened the scoring after 13 minutes when Eoin Byrnes volleyed superbly from outside to box to beat the Town keeper. They then controlled most of the play for the remainder of the half, until just as the home side looked as if they had weathered both the literal and metaphorical storm, Rosegreen struck again in the added period of the first half through a Daithi Bargary effort.

Two up going into the second period, the away team comfortably dealt with all that Tipperary Town threw at them, and never really looked ruffled until the final minute of play when Brian Jones fired a goal home. It was unfortunately for the home team, no more than a consolation.

Wilderness Rovers 1 – 1 Cullen Lattin

The Wilderness Rovers promotion juggernaut stuttered to a halt amid rain, hail and high winds, when a determined effort by visitors Cullen Lattin earned them a point and a huge degree of credit on Sunday last.

Defying the elements both teams put on a brave performance, and although they both had a number of first half chances, neither could convert and they went to the break scoreless.

And it was the visitors who restarted the better when after only two minutes of the second period, they took the lead through Anthony Fallon who was first to react close in when a corner kick was driven across the goal.

Stung by this reversal, the home side fought hard to get back into the game and got their reward 20 minutes from time when Niall Kelly headed in at the back post to level the game.

This set up a frenzied final 20 minutes, and the home team thought they had edged in front, when Ross Condon cannoned a shot off the post, but it bounced away to safety and Cullen’s goal remained intact and that was how it finished with both sides pocketing a point.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.