Search our Archive


Clonmel Town are crowned TSDL Youth Champions

John Quirke Jewellers

John Quirke Jewellers

Youth League


Outgoing champions Clonmel Town retained the TSDL Youth League and their 10th title in the club’s history following victory over a dogged Clerihan at the Community Sports Complex, Clerihan last Saturday.

Undefeated Clonmel Town who were pacesetters in the Youth League from the start were the dominant force and but could not break the deadlock as Clerihan made it hard for Town to create an opening. It took a penalty from Stephen Kelly on 44 minutes to break the deadlock for Clonmel Town to the relief of players and mentors alike.

The second half saw a more relaxed Clonmel Town continue to probe for an opening and after some gallant resistance by Clerihan, the pressure began to tell. Mark O’Reilly popped up to net twice to give Clonmel Town a 3-0 advantage going into the latter stages of the game. Then right at the death Conor Prendergast made it 4-0 to Clonmel Town as he flicked on a corner-kick, which deflected off a defender’s leg on the stroke of fulltime.

As news filtered through of nearest challengers Cahir Park’s surprising 3-0 defeat, celebrations begun in earnest as the newly crowned champions Clonmel Town’s remaining game away in Cahir will no longer count as a championship decider.

Borris dash Cahir Park’s Youth title dreams


Cahir Park’s dreams of a first Youth League title since 1982 were dashed, as Two Mile Borris ended their unbeaten record at Newhill Park, Littleton last Saturday.

Cahir Park, needing to win their remaining games to pip outgoing champions Clonmel Town for the title, were expected to take all three points. However, it was not the case as a Two Mile Borris side with nothing to play for but pride, got off to the ideal start scoring after 10 minutes when Jack Carey scored from a Jamie Carey pass. From that moment onwards, Cahir Park bombarded the Borris goal, but some excellent goalkeeping from Ciaran Maher kept the home side’s lead intact at the halfway stage.

It was a similar scenario throughout the second half with a Cahir Park side that are through to the last eight of the FAI Youth Cup continuing to apply endless pressure, but once again an inspired Ciaran Maher and his defence kept them at bay. With Cahir Park throwing bodies forward looking for an equaliser, Two Mile Borris proved lethal on the break and made it 2-0 on 73 minutes when Jamie Carey scored from an Aidan Croke pass. With ten minutes left to play, Two Mile Borris made it 3-0 when another counter-attack ended with Jamie Carey scoring his second of the afternoon.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.