Search our Archive


Historic promotion for undefeated Ballyneale

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 4

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 4



Ballyneale created club history as they hit Cullen-Lattin B for six in this League Division 4 promotion clash at Ballydine last Sunday.

Ballyneale FC who joined the TSDL in season 2007/08 and after a number of difficult campaigns have turned it around and after coming close last season are now celebrating promotion. This season has seen Ballyneale make it 13 unbeaten games with this victory against a Cullen-Lattin B team that were playing their final league game. Once Robbie O’Brien broke the deadlock after just 6 minutes there was no looking back for Ballyneale. Enda Fogarty made it 2-0 before Robbie O’Brien made it 3-0 after 41 minutes.

Ballyneale continued the second half as they finished the first with Dean Madden from the penalty spot making it 4-0 after 65 minutes. Enda Fogarty made it 5-0 with his second of the afternoon on 70 minutes. Tommy O’Connor pulled a goal back for Cullen-Lattin B but it was just a consolation with Tom Kennedy putting the finishing touch to Ballyneale’s easy victory on 82 minutes.

Ballyneale, who will celebrate this promotion, will be out to end their campaign on a high by securing the championship when they go head to head with St. Kieran’s in Cahir in a winner takes all confrontation.

Late-Late Show secures promotion for St. Kieran’s


A goal right at the death saw St. Kieran’s of Cahir come from behind to secure promotion against Peake Villa B in this League Division 4 clash at the Tower Grounds, Thurles last Sunday.

A very entertaining end of season clash, it saw Peake Villa B with only pride to play for putting it up to promotion hopefuls St Kieran’s in a hard fought opening half. Peake Villa B, who were on top in the opening half failed to turn possession in to scores and it remained scoreless at the break.

The second half began with Peake Villa B again well on top and were rewarded after 55 minutes when good play down the right, was finished to the net by Joseph O’Mahoney to make it 1-0. St. Kieran’s rang the changes and the fresh legs were making an impact. Following a prolonged period of pressure St. Kieran’s finally came on 83 minutes when a fine shot from James English outside the box found the bottom corner of the Villa net. St. Kierans pushed on for the win and on the stroke of full time Alan O’Donoghue headed to the net from a corner-kick to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat sending their sizable support wild!

St. Kieran’s, who have still a Shield Final to play, will be hoping to complete the first part of a double when they entertain Ballyneale in the League Division 4 championship decider this coming Sunday.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.