Search our Archive


Kilfeacle RFC secure top tier status

Kilfeacle and District’s Division One status looks secure after a 15-7 win over Galbally.

Kilfeacle and District’s Division One status looks secure after a 15-7 win over Galbally.

Tries from Gavin Heuston, Cormac O’Donoghue gave Kilfeacle a 10-0 interval lead.

James Mullane for Kilfeacle and Jack Donovan for Galbally scored second half tries.

Kilfeacle started better and after 4 minutes were awarded a penalty which they were unlucky not to convert. Kilfeacle were slowly coming to grips with their opposition and some good play from the pack consisting of Simon Barry, James Mullane, Tom Doyle, Diarmuid O’Donnell, Conor Hartigan, John Hannigan, Jack Sullivan, Ger Luby, Cormac O’Donoghue, Sean McGrath and James Ryan (Salmon) set up Gavin Heuston to cross the line for the game’s first try which Shane Luby was unlucky not to convert

With 29 minutes gone in the first half and after many phases of play Kilfeacle were awarded a push over try as Cormac O’Donoghue touched it down. In the blustery conditions Shane Luby’s kick narrowly missed its target to leave it 10-0 at the break.

At the start of the second half the travelling supporters were expecting their team to come out all guns blazing. This they tried to do but met a resolute Kilfeacle team who enjoyed one their best spells of the game territorially as their backs including Gavin Heuston, Shane Luby, Shane Morrissey, Pat Ryan, Charles Walsh, Darren Lowry, Diarmuid Carr and JJ Cooney started to move the ball well and created chances.

After 11 minutes Kilfeacle were finally able to convert this to a score as James Mullane scored an unconverted try but they were not to score for the remainder of the game.

Galbally were now under the cosh and as the half wore on became more and more anxious to score. On one occasion with ten minutes to go Kilfeacle were camped on the opponents tryline but they were unable to score and Galbally cleared their lines. All the supporters knew that they were in for a nail biting finish but as Kilfeacle were to learn, Galbally were not going to roll over. The game needed one team to take the initiative. Kilfeacle knew that in these conditions, scores would be hard to come by but they went in search of them with great gusto but met a defence that was equally as determined to stop them. We were now in the 76th minute but to the home side’s dismay the remaining minutes of the half were played in the Kilfeacle 22 and Galbally were to have the final say when Jack Donovan scored Galbally’s only try which was converted to make it 15-7.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.