Search our Archive


Tipp hurlers lose out in extra time after thriller

Tipp hurlers lose out in extra time after thriller
Kilkenny 2-25 Tipperary 1-27 (after extra time)

Kilkenny 2-25 Tipperary 1-27 (after extra time)

Kilkenny won their third National Hurling League Division 1 title in-a-row when they pipped Tipperary by a point, after extra time, in a thrilling game at Semple Stadium on Sunday.

A point from top scorer TJ Reid, when he worked a one-two from a sideline with Richie Hogan, finally settled a gripping encounter that ebbed and flowed from start to finish.

The sides were level 11 times over 90 minutes and it was no surprise that the final, a repeat of last year’s decider, which Kilkenny won at Nowlan Park, went to extra time.

After a slow start that saw them trailing by 0-4 to no score after 5 minutes, Tipp settled and a brilliantly-executed goal by Killenaule’s John O’Dwyer had them ahead by 6 points (1-11 to 0-8) after 29 minutes.

They held a two-point advantage at half time (1-11 to 1-9) but Kilkenny came back strongly in the second half and with the help of a second penalty from TJ Reid, blasted to the net in emphatic fashion in the 50th minute, The Cats looked on course for victory.

However Tipp, searching for a first league title since 2008, refused to throw in the towel and injury time points from Shane Bourke and Kieran Bergin sent the game to extra time.

The sides were level a further five times in extra time but that late TJ Reid point just gave Kilkenny the edge.

Tipperary - Darren Gleeson, Cathal Barrett, Padraic Maher, Michael Cahill, James Barry, Brendan Maher (captain), Conor O’Mahony, Kieran Bergin (0-2), James Woodlock (0-1), Denis Maher (0-2), Patrick Maher (0-1), John O’Dwyer (1-3), Noel McGrath (0-5 including 1 sideline), Seamus Callanan (0-10 including 8 frees and 1’65) and Niall O’Meara (0-2).

Substitutes - Gearoid Ryan for John O’Dwyer (53 minutes), Shane McGrath for James Woodlock (54 minutes), Shane Bourke (0-1) for Niall O’Meara (62 minutes), John O’Brien for Seamus Callanan (69 minutes), Seamus Callanan for John O’Brien (75 minutes), John O’Brien for John O’Dwyer (80 minutes) and John O’Dwyer for Shane Bourke (87 minutes).

Kilkenny - Eoin Murphy, Paul Murphy, JJ Delaney (captain), Brian Kennedy, Joey Holden, Jackie Tyrrell, Cillian Buckley, Michael Fennelly (0-2), Padraig Walsh (0-2), Richie Hogan (0-6), Colin Fennelly (0-1), TJ Reid (2-11 including 2-0 penalties, 8 frees and 1 ‘65), Richie Power (0-3 including 1 free), Mark Kelly and Henry Shefflin.

Substitutes - Lester Ryan for Joey Holden (29 minutes), Walter Walsh for Mark Kelly (43 minutes), Eoin Larkin for Colin Fennelly (60 minutes), Colin Fennelly for Henry Shefflin (73 minutes) and Kieran Joyce for Brian Kennedy (85 minutes).

Referee - James Owens (Wexford).

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.