The father of a well-known hurler who was hospitalised after he was attacked while on his way home from a party in the early hours of last Sunday morning says it’s no longer safe for people to walk the streets of Carrick-on-Suir on their own at night.
23 year-old William O’Dwyer sustained a broken ankle, as well as head injuries, in a vicious and unprovoked assault in the town centre as he walked home from a 21st birthday party at the Carraig Hotel.
Despite his injuries he managed to crawl 100 metres along the ground in Kickham Street to get help.
The Carrick Davins player was taken to Waterford Regional Hospital, where he underwent an operation on his ankle on Sunday.
“I’m sickened the way the town is gone”, his father Liam told The Nationalist this week.
A former member of the local Town Council, which he served for 30 years, Liam O’Dwyer said that people were attacked in Carrick every weekend and it was the same all over the country.
“The Gardai can bring people in but our courts and our judges are letting them out to commit more crime and because of that there’s no deterrent for this sort of behaviour. If anyone commits a crime they should be put away but these do-gooders have the country finished”, he stated.
“It’s an awful thing to say that you cannot walk the streets of the town on your own at night and it’s a sad day for Carrick when that happens. You would want a gang with you walking home from a disco or a party. It’s terrible but that’s the way it is”.
He said it wasn’t just him saying this and he believes his views are shared by a couple of thousand people in Carrick. Thankfully those carrying out these assaults were in a minority.
Mr. O’Dwyer, who was chairman of the Council on four occasions, said that William was walking home on his own and minding his own business when he was attacked by two men who kicked and beat him.
William, who recently completed his Masters degree in Business at Waterford IT, played for the Tipperary Intermediate Hurling team this year and a few weeks ago lined out for the county senior team in a challenge against Galway.
He has also played football for Tipperary and last year received the South Tipp GAA Board’s Intermediate Hurler of the Year award for 2009.
A Garda spokesperson said their investigations into the assault were continuing and it’s expected that arrests would be made.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.