Search our Archive


Martin Burke the hero as ten men of Burncourt Celtic hang on

Clonmel Credit Union Tipperary Cup Round 1

Clonmel Credit Union Tipperary Cup Round 1


The ten men of Third Division Burncourt Celtic created one of the upsets of the opening round in the Tipperary Challenge Cup, knocking out First Division highflyers Cullen-Lattin in Burncourt last Sunday.

Cullen-Latin dominated the early exchanges and created two good chances but failed to convert them. After 32 minutes Burncourt hit the front when Martin Burke headed in from a free kick. Burncourt enjoyed a good spell before the half time break but it was at the other end of the park that the best chance fell. However the visitors were left cursing their luck when they hit the woodwork from a direct free kick.

Burncourt started the second half the stronger and created some good chances. The best of these fell to Alan Ward whose strike just went the wrong side of the target. On 60 minutes they were dealt a major blow when Shane Ryan was sent off following an aerial clash with a Cullen-Lattin player. However Cullen-Lattin failed to turn their numerical advantage to good use as a battling Burncourt refused to panic, keeping an excellent defensive shape, that saw out the remainder of the game and record a giant-killing act to the delight of players and supporters alike.

Wilderness Rovers ease into next round


Premier League Wilderness Rovers secured their place in the second round of the Tipperary Challenge Cup after overcoming Second Division newcomers Tipperary Town in the Wilderness, Clonmel last Sunday.

Tipperary Town produced the early pressure but it was Rovers that struck the opening goal when they were awarded a penalty after 17 minutes that was dispatched to the net by Keith Cashman. Four minutes later Wilderness doubled their lead when Keith Cashman scored his second, heading home an Ian Barnes corner kick. With Tipp Town applying the pressure just before the break, the ball rebounded off the post and Ian Barnes broke clear before supplying a cross for Ger Kennedy to score and give Rovers a commanding 3-0 interval lead.

Tipperary Town tried their best after the changeover to try and reduce the deficit, but found the home defence willing to throw their bodies on the line for the cause. It was actually from a Tipp Town error that Rovers put this tie to bed in the 75th minute. Ger Kennedy, with his second goal robbed a defender before lobbing the ‘keeper. Wilderness Rovers goalie James Crotty, who was a mere spectator for most of this tie, produced a superb one-handed save to deny Tipperary Town a consolation score right at the death.

Ballyneale well beaten by Rosegreen


Second Division Rosegreen Rangers progressed to the second round of the Tipperary Challenge Cup as they proved too strong for Fourth Division Ballyneale in Ballydine last Sunday.

Rosegreen, who are producing giant-killing acts in both the national and provincial cups this campaign, never looked in trouble once John Holohan got the breakthrough after just 10 minutes. They doubled their lead with a Daithi Bargary goal after 35 minutes. Although outplayed at times Ballyneale never lied down and reduced the leeway to a single goal through David Morton a minute before half-time.

Unfortunately, for Ballyneale, Rosegreen started the second half the better and regained that two-goal advantage when Trevor Downey scored after 55 minutes. However a battling Ballyneale were thrown a lifeline on the hour mark when they were awarded a penalty, but the Rosegreen keeper saved it. That let-off saw Rosegreen start a counter-attack and just a minute later David Butler made it 4-1. With ten minutes left Rosegreen wrapped up the scoring with Eoin Byrnes scoring from the penalty spot.

John Ryan double sinks Clonmel Town B


Two opening half goals from Third Division Cashel Town B proved sufficient to produce a giant-killing act in the Tipperary Challenge Cup against Second Division Clonmel Town B in this opening round played in Clonmel last Sunday.

John Ryan was the goal-scoring hero for Cashel Town’s Reserves, getting the opening goal after 15 minutes and five minutes later he made it 2-0. From that stage onwards Clonmel Town did their best to try and recover but Cashel Town B, noted for soaking up pressure, kept their composure to secure this cup upset. Cashel Town B, who face Donohill and District in the Shield Division 3 Final this coming Sunday, will no doubt be full of confidence as they hope to notch up another Shield success.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.