Search our Archive

Philip Maunsell inspires Ballypatrick win

Philip Maunsell the architect of Ballypatrick’s tonic win

Philip Maunsell the architect of Ballypatrick’s tonic win


Ballypatrick advanced to the next round of the Tipperary Cup after overcoming fellow Third Division side Clonmel Celtic B in an eight-goal contest at the Community Park, Ballypatrick last Sunday.

The opening goal came when Ballypatrick, who have had a mixed start to their season, saw Phillip Maunsell on the left wing cause the Celtic defence problems before James Geraghty shot into the net. Five minutes later Ballypatrick were 2-0 up when another Phillip Maunsell cross found Paudie Landers who hit a first-time shot into the net. Celtic’s Reserves were thrown a lifeline when Ballypatrick gave away a penalty that David Grace scored to leave it 2-1 at half time.

Ballypatrick put Celtic under a lot of pressure from the re-start. Phillip Maunsell, who was a thorn in Celtic’s side, crossed the ball into the area for Barry Kiely to head home to make it 3-1. But two minutes later Celtic got another goal when Shane Norris hit a shot home on the rebound. Ballypatrick regained the upper hand and after 70 minutes a Phillip Maunsell corner kick found Paudie Landers who headed home to make it 4-2. That wasn’t the end of the drama as the unmarked Jason Hahessy brought it back to 4-3. But there was one last twist when an Alan O’Reilly corner kick wasn’t cleared and substitute Gerard Mullen hit a volley to the back of the Celtic net to send Ballypatrick into the next round.

Borris no match for rampant St. Michael’s


It was a walk in the park for cup holders St. Michael’s, with the Premier League giants proving too powerful for the nine men of Fourth Division minnows Two Mile Borris B in Newhill Park, Littleton last Sunday.

The superior teamwork and pace of St. Michael’s saw the opposition run ragged all afternoon. Paul Breen headed home a Tommy Heffernan corner on 8 minutes to open the scoring. Then Thomas Fahey got his first of the season after 11 minutes from a Richie Ryan cross. There was constant movement towards the Borris goal and it was 3-0 after 26 minutes when Paul Tobin scored from the penalty spot after Tommy Heffernan was upended. Adam Slattery was dismissed for Borris, making their task even tougher. Darren Stokes made it 4-0 on 28 minutes when his shot was deflected into the goal. Paul Tobin scored the fifth after 36 minutes, again from the penalty spot, after Tommy Heffernan was once more fouled. 
The second half was more of the same with James Power making it 6-0 after 52 minutes with a far post header from Paul Tobin’s free and Jimmy Carr scored in the 56th minute when his cross was spilled into the net by Finbar Hayes. Tommy Heffernan made it 8-0 after 66 minutes with a tap-in at the far post and Richard Ryan saved the best until last when his powerful shot from 18 yards found the corner of the net after he had been teed up by Michael Buckley in the 79th minute. The game was marred by a serious injury to Borris substitute Keith Ely, who suffered a broken leg in an accidental tackle with Pa Quinn. To add to their woes Borris had a second man dismissed after the final whistle had sounded.

Tipp town B gunned down by Richard McCarthy


Four goals from Richard McCarthy saw First Division Two Mile Borris secure a place in the second round of the Tipperary Challenge Cup against Fourth Division minnows Tipperary Town B at the VEC Grounds, Tipp last Sunday.

This game wasn’t all one-way traffic as the Tipp Town Reserves gave a good account of themselves against superior opposition. Borris broke the deadlock early in the first half with a brace from Richard McCarthy. Dean Buckley, with a penalty, brought Tipp Town back into the game to put just a single goal between the sides at the break.

A whirlwind start to the second half by Borris, with further goals from Richard McCarthy with a brace followed by a Noelie Burke goal, opened up a 5-1 lead by the hour mark. The home side kept plugging away and reduced the deficit to two with a penalty from Pat Swords and a goal from substitute Kevin O’Dwyer to trail 5-3 after 70 minutes. With the home side running out of steam, Borris moved up a gear, adding further goals by Noelie Burke and Michael Butler.

Old Bridge show Killenaule Rovers no mercy


A second half hat-trick from super-sub Emmet Johnson wrapped up a convincing victory for Premier League Old Bridge against First Division Killenaule Rovers in the Tipperary Challenge Cup opening round at Ferryhouse, Clonmel last Sunday.

Old Bridge, who were misfiring after their fantastic start to the season, were determined to get back on track and once Eoin Leahy opened the scoring after just 4 minutes the floodgates opened. Leahy made it 2-0 on 20 minutes and the Clonmel side led 3-0 through Martin Kennedy after 21 minutes. Killenaule looked like they might make a game of it when John Grace pulled a goal back, but Emmet Ryan from the penalty spot made it 4-1 to the Bridge at the break.

Even without the services of the suspended Aaron Moroney, it was business as usual after the changeover for the Bridge as Martin Kennedy made it 5-1 after 61 minutes. The introduction of Emmet Johnson made an instant impact as he scored a hat-trick with goals after 65, 66 and 81 minutes. The best goal was the last one, with a Brian Cleary unstoppable piledriver from 30 yards after 86 minutes completing the rout.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.