Search our Archive


Evan Maguire’s first half hat-trick sends Celtic on their way


Premier League leaders Clonmel Celtic swept aside the challenge of Fourth Division side Dualla to advance to the second round of the Tipperary Challenge Cup at Celtic Park, Clonmel last Sunday.

Celtic made the perfect start with Evan Maguire scoring in the very first minute. Dualla recovered from that early setback and battled gamely but when Evan Maguire scored again after 26 minutes the writing was on the wall for the visitors. After 40 minutes Evan Maguire completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot as Clonmel Celtic went in 3-0 up at half time.

Just like the opening period Dualla made a bad start to the second half and Dwayne Burns scored his first of the season to make it 4-0. Celtic briefly lost their way after that goal and minnows Dualla took full advantage with goals from Steve Coppinger and Darragh Hickey in a five-minute spell that looked to have set up a very unlikely revival. However Dualla’s respite was brief, as David Joyce made in 5-2 after 58 minutes. This goal killed off the visitors’ resistance and Celtic ran riot over the final half an hour, adding another four goals. Evan Maguire got his fourth with David Joyce getting his second before a brace from substitute Sean O’Hara saw the Premier League side run out very convincing winners.

Vee Rovers sample more cup joy



Vee Rovers continued their winning cup campaign on the road by beating fellow Third Division outfit Donohill and District by the odd goal in three in the Tipperary Challenge Cup opening round in Donohill last Sunday.

Vee Rovers, who took the scalp on NTDL high-flyers Borrisokane in the FAI Junior Cup the previous Sunday, took just 10 minutes to break the deadlock when the in-form Chris Platt scored. Ten minutes later they doubled their advantage when Jimmy Haddue found the back of the net with a neat finish. That was a wake-up call for Donohill who pulled a goal back after 36 minutes through Philip McGrath to leave the visitors 2-1 ahead at the break.

Donohill, who have a Shield Final this coming Sunday, created numerous chances throughout the second half, but found a well-organised Rovers defence a tough nut to crack. In the end the Clogheen side that are keeping their best form for the knock-out competitions rode their luck once again and booked their ticket for the next round.

Glengoole do the damage in the opening half



A four-goal opening half blitz helped Glengoole United progress to the second round of the Tipperary Challenge Cup when they defeated fellow First Division outfit Ballingarry Albion at the Community Sportsfield, Glengoole last Sunday.

The first half belonged to Glengoole. Their first goal came in the 18th minute when Adrian Maher scored with a header from 8 yards from a free kick. Four minutes later they were awarded a penalty after an infringement in the box from a long ball from the back and the resulting penalty was scored by Daniel Rafter. The third came in the 35th minute when the misfortunate Ballingarry ‘keeper pushed a header from Stephen Holohan onto the post but the ball came straight back to the same player who scored at the second attempt. Two minutes from half time Killian Duggan latched onto a cross from the right to slot home from 10 yards to put Glengoole 4-0 clear.

In the second half Ballingarry chased a comeback and were rewarded in the 55th minute when they were awarded a penalty and David Cashin made the most of the opportunity. They continued to press but had to wait until the 80th minute for their second when David Cashin netted his second, flicking a header over the Glengoole ‘keeper. Ballingarry continued to press but time ran out as Glengoole held on to book a place in the next round.

Seamus Greene free kick lifts Kilmanahan



The ten men of Second Division Kilmanahan United had to battle all the way before eventually beating Fourth Division Cullen-Lattin B in the Tipperary Challenge Cup opening round staged at the County Waterford/Tipperary border venue last Sunday.

Throughout the opening 45 minutes Kilmanahan piled on the pressure and only for some inspirational saves by the Cullen-Lattin Reserve ‘keeper the home side would have been well in control. Instead it remained scoreless.

On the resumption Kilmanahan continued to turn the screw and Derek McGrath was denied by a goal-line clearance. But the pressure eventually paid dividends after 50 minutes. Kilmanahan were awarded a direct free-kick 40 yards from the Cullen-Lattin goal that was taken by Seamus Greene and it deceived everyone as it nestled in the back of the net. After 70 minutes Kilmanahan were reduced to ten players when Craig Guiry was shown the red card. That was an opportunity for Cullen-Lattin to use their numerical advantage and try and get something from the game. However they found a major obstacle in veteran striker-cum-goalkeeper Connie Power, who produced a number of important stops to secure Kilmanahan United their passage into the next round.

All-Peake Villa tie goes according to the form book


Premier League Peake Villa qualified for the next round of the Tipperary Challenge Cup overcoming their reserve team in the Tower Grounds, Thurles last Sunday.

Villa, having already been eliminated from both the FAI Junior Cup and Munster Junior Cup, badly needed to win this tie to have any hope of collecting silverware this season. The first eleven got off to the ideal start, scoring after just 6 minutes when a speculative shot from Stephen Carroll deceived the ‘keeper. It was 2-0 after 10 minutes when Stephen Carroll laid on the perfect pass for Ted O’Connor to finish with a shot low shot and it remained that way to the break.

The nearest the Reserves came to scoring was in the opening minutes after the changeover with a shot from David Fitzgerald. However the tie was over as a contest after 62 minutes when an alert Noel Kent intercepted an intended back-pass and finished past the stranded ‘keeper.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.