Search our Archive

Eoin O’Riordan hits super hat-trick in St. Nicholas win

Wilderness Rovers 3

Wilderness Rovers 3

Tipperary Town 0

Wilderness Rovers took another very big step back towards the Premier League when they carried on their impressive run of form against a tough Tipperary Town outfit on Sunday.

Chances were at a premium for both teams on a sticky field in the first half, and it looked like it was heading to the break scoreless until a minute before half time the visitors conceded a penalty which was despatched to the net by Rovers Ger Kennedy.

The game hinged on a chance just after the hour mark, when the visitors looked like they had got back on terms only to see their best chance of the game cannon back off the post, and minutes later they were left to rue their bad luck when Niall Kelly headed home a cross from Ian Barnes to double the home side’s lead.

After that Rovers soaked up the pressure from their opponents and finally made sure of all three points when they hit Town on the break five minutes from the end, as Michael O Hara had the easiest of tap ins from a cross by Lee Cashman to cement their place at the top of the first division.

Cullen Lattin

Bansha Celtic 3

Such is the closeness of this division, that incredibly the visitors sit third from bottom after their win on Sunday, and are still slight favourites to be promoted by season end.

In a well contested local derby, it was the visitors who took the spoils after a clinical and well drilled display, which also owed a great deal to the luck of the elements, as the wind played a big part in a number of their goals. The first came from an inswinging corner midway through the half, as Niall Daly converted at the back post, and just when the home side thought they had got to the break keeping the deficit to the minimum, they were hit on the stroke of half time by a well taken Tony Egan free kick.

The wind at their backs in the second half, the home side tried vainly to get a foothold in the game, but the Bansha defence stood strong, and with ten minutes left, were finally broken by Egan again when he struck a second free kick of the day to the net to win the points for his team.

St Nicholas 3

Galbally United 0

The visitors continued their slide down the first division table as they finished the day in the relegation spots, a far cry from the glory days of the FAI Junior Cup only a few short weeks ago.

The Saints hit the front after only five minutes through a goal by Eoin O’Riordan, the first of three O’Riordan struck on the day. He doubled his tally and his team’s lead five minutes before the break, when he latched onto a ball by Jos O’Brien, to send the home side to the tea two goals to the good. And five minutes after the break wrapped up the three points with his third goal, combining again with O’Brien to put the Saints out of sight. Every point counts in this division with no one yet safe from relegation, but if Galbally do not start improving quickly, they could be the ones to find themselves dropping down at the end of the season.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.