Girls and boys from all over the county took part in the county finals of the Community Games Swimming Championships, held over two days at the Clonmel Pool, and there was a wide distribution of medals, with very few areas leaving empty-handed, which is what Community Games love to see.
Well done to Tom O’Ceallaig and family who did a great job co-ordinating the championships, which ran like clockwork.
Thurles area won the Emer Hayes, Perpetual Cup for the best overall area in the competiton. Conor McLoughlin completed another four-timer for the Clerihan area, following the success of Kayleigh Flannery in Gymnastics the previous week. Conor won Gold in the Boys under 12 backstroke event. The O’Ceallaig competitors also did well winning two gold, one silver and a bronze medal. The versatile Lorna, winner of a silver in Gymnastics, went one better this time while her brother Matthew got his first gold in the under 8 event. Silver and Bronze were won by Adam and Sarah.
Among those repeating success from last year were Meadbh Meehan Grey, Thurles and Elaine Yelverton, Nenagh.
Thanks to Polly Murphy, Rowena Hogan, Margaret Hogan, Tommy Morgan, John Hoctor, the manager and staff at Clonmel Pool and everybody who contributed to the success of this very competitive and enjoyable weekend.
All the winners will represent County Tipperary at the National Finals of the HSE Community Games in Athlone Regional Sports Centre on the weekend of August 17th-19th. They are now requested to please send a copy of their birth certificate and a passport-type photograph to their area secretary if they have not been to the national finals before. Congratulations to all concerned.
1. Sophie Harris, Thurles; 2. Amy Hickey Ss Peter and Paul’sl; 3. Julianne Rochfold Newport.
1. Matthew O’Ceallaig, St. Olivers
1.Siobhan Whelan Powerstown; 2.Lucy Murphy Rosegreen; 3.Emma Harris Thurles 3. Cathal Ryan, Fethard.
1. Darragh Hanrahan, Clerihan; 2. Brendan Quinn, Killoscully Ballinahinch
1.Caoimhe Killeen, Newport; 2.Tasha Tully, Moycarkey; 3.Amy Higgins, Clerihan.
1. Finn McGeever, Ballina Boher; 2. David Kearney, Moycarkey Borris
1.Meadbh Meehan Gray, Thurles; 2.Hannah Jones, Newport; 3.Sarah O’Gorman Newport.
1. Darren O’Sullivan, Thurles; 2. Jake O’Kelly, Cloughjordan; 3. Joe Carroll, Powerstown/Lisronagh
1.Leanne O’Kelly, Cloughjordan; 2.Orlaith Murray, St Flannans.
1. Michael Foley, Moycarkey/Borris; 2. Daire Lynch, St Mary’s; 3. Thomas Murphy, Rosegreen-Cashel
1.Kelley Ann Gilleece, Moycarkey; 2. Sinead Owens, Kilsheelan-Kilcash; 3 Ave Collins Powerstown –Lisronagh.
1, Michael Buckley, Powerstown; 2. Niall Maher, Moycarkey Borris; 3. Lauren Hurley, Powerstown-Lisronagh
1. Lily Clements, Clerihan; 2. Niamh Owens, Kilsheelan – Kilcash; 3.Sarah Ni Ceallaig, St. Olivers.
1. Conor McLoughlin, Clerihan; 2. David Mawe, Thurles; 3. Jack Keogh, Thurles
1. Elaine Yelverton, Nenagh.
1. Sean Fanning, Moycarkey Borris; 2. Adam O’Ceallaig, St. Oliver’s.
1 Lorna Ni Cellaig St. Olivers; 2.Kirsty Harris Thurles.
1.Issac Hogan, Kilsheelan-Kilcash
1. Zoe Stokes, Fethard-Killusty; 2.Aoibheann Fanning, Rosegreen-Cashel; 3.Amy Fitzpatrick, Powerstown-Lisronagh.
1. Luke O’Flynn Rosegreen-Cashel; 2. Adam Ryan, Killoscully; 3. Rhys Shelly, Moycarkey Borris
1 Amy McGrath, Killoscully Ballinahinch; 2. Lena O’Sullivan, Newport; 3. Fionnuala Sheehan, St. Mary’s.
1. Michael McCormack, Knockavilla
U-14 Girls 1.Liza Dundon, Ballina Boher; 2.Amy Kileen Newport; 3.Kate Hanafin Thurles.
1. Cillian O’Gorman, Thurles
1.Hannah Dooley, Thurles; 2.Eilish Kennedy, Cahir; 3.Caroline Stokes, Fethard-Killusty.
1. Daire Murray, St. Flannan’s.
Girls – Under 13
(1) Newport - Caoimhe Killeen, Roisin Allen O’Sullivan, Aoife McMahon, Carragh Flynn.
(2) Thurles - Amy McGrath, Ciara Bracken, Emma Harris,Tara Layden, Sophie Harris.
(3) Kilksheelan-Kilcash - Niamh Owens, Sinead Owens, Ana Li Diggins, Hannah Malakoot.
Boys Under 13
(1)Thurles - Cillian O’Gorman, Peter Wall, Dean Croke, David Mawe, Darragh Stakelum
(2)Moycarkey-Borris - David Kearney, Daniel Browne, Rhys Shelly, Kyle Shelly, Niall Maher, Alex Tully
(3)Killoscully-Ballinahinch - Cathal Ryan, Donie O’Brien, Adam Ryan, Brendan Quinn, Michael Talbot.
Under 10 Football - Ardfinnan beat Kilsheelan. They will play the winners of Ballingarry v Fethard in the South Final.
Under 11 Hurling - Cashel-Rosegreen beat Ballingarry, they will play Mullinahone in the South Final.
Under 12 Girls GAA - Mullinahone play Clerihan in the South Final.
Under 14 Camogie - Ballingarry play Cashel/Rosegreen in the South Final.
The County finals of these four competitions will take place in Semple Stadium, Thurles on Monday, June 4th. Best of luck to all.
A County Board Meeting will be held in Hayes Hotel, Thurles on this Wednesday night at 8.30pm.
Tracksuits for all competitors travelling to the National Finals on May 25th will be available at the meeting. All areas are asked to please have a representative present to collect these.
Entry forms for county athletics may now be downloaded from the tipperarycommunitygames website. The closing date for entries is June 14th.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.