Search our Archive


Michael McHugh completes amazing Kilsheelan comeback

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 2

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 2


Pacesetters Kilsheelan United came from 3-1 down to snatch all three League Division 2 points by defeating Killusty by the odd goal in seven to keep their 100% record intact at the foot of Slievenamon last Sunday.

Killusty, promoted last season and hoping to kick-start their season, were quickly off the mark with Colm Coen scoring after 5 minutes. Shane Aylward made it 2-0 after 12 minutes to put Killusty well in control. That was a wake-up call for Kilsheelan United who hit back with a Declan O’Brien goal after 20 minutes, but Shane Aylward responded with his second goal of the day after 30 minutes to restore the Killusty lead at 3-1 going in at the break.

It was not until the last 15 minutes that the Kilsheelan recovery eventually gathered pace. Dean Madigan reduced the deficit before Ross Larkin equalised with ten minutes left. A shell-shocked Killusty were then hit with a sucker-punch five minutes from time. From a Killusty corner Kilsheelan made a quick break that resulted in Michael McHugh scoring to snatch a dramatic victory from the jaws of defeat.

Ten-man Rosegreen always in control



Rosegreen Rangers secured all three points in League Division 2 as they proved too strong, despite being reduced to ten players early on, against Kilmanahan United at the Tipperary/Waterford border venue last Sunday.

Kilmanahan applied the early pressure but failed to breach a dogged Rosegreen defence. The visitors got the breakthrough after 23 minutes when Rangers were awarded a direct free-kick that saw Trevor Downey’s shot deflect off a Kilmanahan player into the net. Rosegreen had a player shown a straight red card for a dangerous tackle after 35 minutes, but instead of Kilmanahan using the extra man to their advantage the sending off galvanised Rosegreen and they went 2-0 in front after 40 minutes when David Butler’s looping header beat the ‘keeper.

Kilmanahan came out with all guns blazing after the changeover and bombarded the Rosegreen goal without any success. Disaster struck for Kilmanahan after 65 minutes when an attempted clearance by the goalie ricocheted off Rosegreen’s Eoin Byrnes to put the visitors 3-0 in front. Although Kilmanahan United scored the best goal of the game when Seamus Greene rounded three players before scoring after 78 minutes, it was just a consolation as the ten men from Rosegreen did enough to secure the points.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.