Search our Archive

Daryl Peters goal maintains Cahir Park’s flying start

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 1

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 1


Overnight leaders Cahir Park opened up a two-point gap over nearest challengers Galbally United at the top of League Division 1 at the Limerick venue last Sunday.

Galbally needed maximum points to overtake Cahir Park but on this occasion left their scoring boots at home. Cahir got off to a flyer when Daryl Peters’ speculative shot from out on the left wing deceived the Galbally goalie, sneaking in under the crossbar.

From that point onwards Galbally, with the visit of Nenagh AFC in the FAI Junior Cup this coming Sunday on their minds, struggled to find the net. If any spies were present from the NTDL champions they must have rubbed their hands with glee as they watched top scorer Quinn Perry miss a gilt-edged chance with the goal at his mercy. With Cahir Park dominant at the heart of their defence they never allowed Galbally a clear sight of goal throughout the second half and that early strike proved vital as the visitors secured all the points to make it three wins from three.

Late Martin Darmody goal lifts Borris


Two Mile Borris came from behind to end Cullen-Lattin’s fairytale start to life in League Division 1 at Newhill Park, Littleton last Sunday.

Borris, looking to get their season back on track, were the better side in the early part of the opening half with Ashley Laslett going close early on. However Cullen-Lattin weathered that storm and went ahead after 36 minutes when Barry O’Dwyer broke through the Borris rearguard to score.

Borris, who are struggling to find goals this campaign, found the post an obstacle twice in the early stages of the second half and looked in trouble after 65 minutes when Cullen-Lattin were awarded a penalty. However it was saved by 16 year-old ‘keeper Liam Lanigan and that gave the home side renewed hope. Five minutes later Borris restored parity when Richard McCarthy found space and fired home. In a grandstand finale they snatched victory right on the stroke of full-time when a Derek Loughnane centre was headed towards goal by Ashley Laslett and Martin Darmody, although colliding with a post, managed to turn the ball home to complete the recovery.

St. Nicholas fight back from two down to earn draw


St. Nicholas FC of Solohead came from 2-0 down to salvage a point in this League Division 1 clash with Killenaule Rovers at Danny O’Dwyer Park, Bohertrine last Sunday.

St. Nicholas, who had the Scottish squad training on their pitch the previous day, were expecting to secure maximum points. However Killenaule had other ideas and were ahead as early as the 10th minute when John Grace headed home JJ Webster’s cross. Less than ten minutes later it was 2-0 to the visitors when John Grace beat a number of players before finding the back of the net for a great individual goal. That double body-blow raised St. Nicholas from their slumber and good work from Eoin Riordan found Philip O’Doherty and he reduced the leeway after 35 minutes.

The second half was nip and tuck as Killenaule tried to extend the lead, with St. Nicholas defending in depth and hitting them on the break. St. Nicholas eventually drew level after 65 minutes thanks to some great grafting by Joey Riordan, who set up Chris Ryan to score and salvage a share of the points.

Moyglass United batter pointless Ballingarry Albion



Moyglass United secured their second win in League Division 1, hitting a pointless Ballingarry Albion for six in this contest played at the Community Sportsfield, the Commons last Sunday.

Moyglass went ahead after 10 minutes when Joey Lacey found himself in space inside the Ballingarry box and he shot low into the corner of the net, leaving Micheal Teehan in the Ballingarry goal with no chance. They were 2-0 ahead after 15 minutes from an own goal. Ballingarry created their first good chance after 35 minutes when John Holohan and Micheal Ivors combined in midfield to put Jack Cashin through on goal, only to see his shot come back off the post and into the arms of the Moyglass ‘keeper. Moyglass were 3-0 up after 40 minutes when Shane Morrissey ran onto a ball in the box and shot to the net from 10 yards.

Ballingarry started the second half brightly and were unlucky not to have pulled one back when Micheal Ivors’ powerful header hit the crossbar and rebounded wide after five minutes. Moyglass made it 4-0 when Shane Morrissey got on the end of a corner kick at the back post and coolly finished from five yards. They scored their fifth after 75 minutes when Joey Lacey found himself in some space inside the Ballingarry 18-yard box and coolly finished into the corner of the net. Moyglass completed the rout with four minutes remaining.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.