Search our Archive


Kilfeacle lose semi-final in extra time heartbreak

Kilfeacle lost 28-20 at home to Waterpark in the semi-final of the Garryowen Cup.

Kilfeacle lost 28-20 at home to Waterpark in the semi-final of the Garryowen Cup.

The vast majority of the first 20 minutes were played in the Kilfeacle’s 22 as the visitors tried to gain the upper hand. and were rewarded with a converted try in the 20th minute.

They added second in the corner which wasn’t cnverted but gave them a 12-0 lead.

Something had to happen and it did - experienced players such as John Hannigan, Stephen Flood, Ger Luby, Jack Sullivan and Keith Kearns stepped up to the mark and started to settle the ship. Not to be out done the backs started to move the ball well with captain Diarmuid Carr showing good signs that he is a true leader marshalling the backs. In the dying seconds of the half Kilfeacle were awarded a penalty which Josh Featherstone was unlucky not to convert.

At the beginning of the second half Kilfeacle started to come into the game more and began to look menacing with some sustained possession and good phases of play. After eight minutes they finally got on the scoreboard when Shane Morrissey broke through the Waterpark line to feed the on-rushing Charles Walshe who scored a try. Featherstone was unlucky not to convert.

Kilfeacle were now winning most of the battles and in the 21st minute after some more good work by the pack Jack Sullivan, who was facing three defenders, scored another of his trademark tries. The conversion was missed.

It was now that the inexperience of the home side showed again and they let their concentration drop after scoring and Waterpark, as all good sides do, punished Kilfeacle for this and slowly gained the upperhand. When Waterpark scored an unconverted try in the corner with just four minutes remaining it seemed as if the writing was on the wall. The visiting support were uneasy as the margin by which their team were leading by was less than a converted try and the game was in the balance and the home side seemed to be the stronger of the two.

Kilfeacle regrouped and started to play to their strengths and with just one minute remaining scored a great pushover team try under the posts. The conversion seemed a formality but JJ Cooney couldn’t believe it when his conversion kick was blocked down sending the game into extra time.

In the first half of extra time Waterpark were using their very big and experienced pack wisely. They kept Kilfeacle at bay and probed and probed for weaknesses and errors, waiting their opportunity and when it came they pounced! In the fifth minute when Kilfeacle failed to clear their lines correctly, Waterpark were awarded a penalty and seized the opportunity to go three points ahead.

Four minutes later Shane Morrissey levelled the scores again with another penalty kick. Waterpark added another three points to regain the lead midway through the second half. Leading 23-20 and with only five minutes remaining it looked to Waterpark as if it was all over. Morrissey Park is Kilfeacle’s castle and will fight there until the final whistle and five minutes can seem like an eternity. Kilfeacle tried to keep the ball alive and work their way into a scoreable position but lost possession and gave away an unconverted try.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.