Search our Archive


St. Michael’s come from behind to book their place in Munster Junior Cup final

St. Michael’s 2

St. Michael’s 2

Janesboro (Limerick) 1

Another game, another cup final for the Super Saints as Tipperary’s Green and White Army overcame Janesboro of Limerick to qualify for the Munster Junior Cup final, to go along with their FAI decider in a few weeks’ time.

It was a strong second half performance again, that was at the heart of this victory, and the Saints were shell shocked early on when the Limerick outfit hit the front only three minutes into the game. Paul Breen was harshly judged to have fouled Shane Clarke in the area, and from the resultant kick, Clarke beat Aaron Wall in the St. Michael’s goal.

This only upped the performance from the Tipperary team and soon Jimmy Carr began to cause all kinds of problems for his opposite number. On 14 minutes, Breen almost made amends for his earlier error when he headed just over the bar, but Janesboro were also a constant threat, and were unlucky not to go two up when James Walsh cleared off his line, with his goalkeeper beaten.

The Saints finally made their class count in the twenty third minute however, when after good work by Chris Higgins and Richie Ryan, Pa Quinn fired home from the edge of the area to the delight of the large crowd of St. Michael’s supporters.

The second half began much as the first, with the Limerick team starting slightly the better, and Wall earned his corn in the Saints goal with good saves two minutes in and again six minutes later.

However, as the game went on, Saints were more and more winning the midfield battle and were handed a gilt edged opportunity to take the lead just before the hour mark, when they were awarded a penalty after Carr was upended in the Janesboro area. Unfortunately, the normally reliable captain fantastic, James Walsh shot straight at the Limerick keeper and the score remained level.

But Walsh redeemed himself only minutes later, when his touchline header released Pa Quinn and he pulled his cross back to the edge of the 18 yard area, for David Slattery to fire home and give his side the precious lead.

Both teams had chances after that, but it was the famed St. Michael’s defensive unit who took centre stage, and as many times before became the rock on which the team’s success was built by keeping the Limerick team at bay for the rest of the game, to give themselves another day out on what is beginning to turn into a historic season for the club.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.