Search our Archive


Barry Ryan hits hat-trick as Town win Clonmel derby

Clonmel Town 5

Clonmel Town 5

Wilderness Rovers 1

Town heaped more misery on their local neighbours on Sunday as they maintained their interest in this year’s Premier League, whilst at the same time pushing Rovers a step closer to the relegation trap door.

It was a frantic start, but the home side managed to break the deadlock when Barry Ryan headed home the opening goal in the 26th minute following a good run and cross from Richie Crowe. Town had several chances to increase their lead before half time but failed to do so.

A lethargic start to the second half from the hosts proved costly when Thomas Hill equalised six minutes in, but this was a wakeup call for the hosts and they re-took the lead four minutes later with a superb goal after Aidan McGrath volleyed home from 25 yards into the roof of the net with the keeper rooted to the spot. Town were in the ascendancy and hit the woodwork on three separate occasions during the next ten minutes.

The visitors did not help their cause when they had a player dismissed on the hour mark and two minutes later, Tony Scully hit the post from the penalty spot. Rovers were reduced to nine men 14 minutes from time, and Town finally made their numerical advantage pay, when they scored their third in the 83rd minute after Ryan slotted home a Keith Cashman knockdown. He completed his hat-trick two minutes later when he beat the offside trap and finished expertly before Shane Flynn scored the fifth following a great solo run in the final minute of the game.

Two-Mile-Borris 3

Glengoole United 3

If Two Mile Borris slip out of the Premier League at the end of this season, they may look back on last Sunday’s game against Glengoole as the point where it all slipped away on them.

Three goals down by the hour mark, Glengoole United staged a remarkable comeback to grab a point that will be invaluable in the battle at the wrong end of this year’s Premier League.

The home side started like a train and had the better of all the opening exchanges, culminating in them finally taking the lead after 20 minutes through a goal from Lorcan O’Toole. They continued to pile on the pressure and the Glengoole defence finally cracked for a second time right on the half time whistle when Jamie Carey doubled the Borris lead.

The second half offered no respite in the early stages for the visitors and the home team looked to have wrapped the game up in the 60th minute when Martin Darmody fired in his team’s third goal.

Five minutes later however, Borris conceded a penalty kick, and this was duly despatched by Tommy Duggan to spark the United comeback. Ten minutes later Aiden Maher reduced the margin to the minimum with a well taken goal from inside the box, and Glengoole proceeded to lay siege to the Borris goal.

It looked to be in vain however, as the home side put up a fantastic rear-guard effort, until two minutes from time, when Shane Hanrahan rescued a point for the away team, to keep them just ahead of Borris in the league table, and break the home sides hearts.

Peake Villa 1

Clonmel Celtic 2

After a couple of very tough weeks for Peake Villa in the Cup and League, this was probably one of the last fixtures they would have wished for, but by the end of Sunday’s game they were left feeling a little deflated not to have taken something from the tie, which would have seriously dented the visitor’s title hopes this year.

It was a very even opening period with both teams having opportunities to score, but Celtic finally broke the deadlock courtesy of the penalty spot on the half hour mark, when Graham Dooley slotted home. This knocked the home side back and they were hit again shortly afterwards when Seanie O’Hara beat the offside trap to give his side a two goal cushion at the break. However, Villa used half time to settle themselves and came back out fighting in the second period, reducing the lead 15 minutes in with an excellent goal by Darren Maguire after some good play in the middle of the pitch. This set Villa up for a real go at Celtic in the latter stages of the game, but although they created a number of good chances, they were unable to convert and say the visitors return to Clonmel with three hard earned points.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.