Search our Archive


Stephen Kearns stunning double wins Old Bridge vital points

Old Bridge 2 – 1 Rosegreen Rangers

Old Bridge 2 – 1 Rosegreen Rangers

Old Bridge bounced back from their defeat last weekend to take three points from a battling Rosegreen side who still harboured ambitions of getting involved in the promotion race before the end of the season.

And it was the visitors that opened the brighter having a number of chances to take the lead early on thwarted by a combination of bad luck and good defending by the home side. Rangers eventually did take the lead four minutes before the break when Trevor Downey powered a free kick to the net.

The second half was a different matter however, as Bridge upped their game considerably and equalised in the 51st minute when Stephen Kearns found himself unmarked at a corner kick and headed home.

Seven minutes later, Rosegreen were guilty once again of not marking up at a set piece and Stephen Kearns added double punishment this time tapping home from close range for three vital points.

Redmondstown 0 – 7 Bansha Celtic

Bansha followed up their win last week at league leaders Old Bridge with another dominant performance against a Redmondstown side that had been showing a rich seam of form of late, and must now be seen as very real contenders for promotions by the end of the season.

Despite Redmonsdtown’s home advantage, this game was one-way traffic all day, with Bansha opening the scoring after 12 minutes through a 25 yard volley by Bernard Fitzgerald that gave the home keeper no chance. It was 2-0 nil shortly after when a ball across the face of goal wasn’t dealt with and Fitzgerald was left with a tap in for his second.

It was 3-0 and effectively game over 10 minutes into the second period, when a Bansha corner was whipped in and Niall Daly rose unchallenged to head home.  Gino Lonergan did have a chance shortly after to bring some hope to the home supporters minutes later, but his shot just went wide, and the Bansha keeper made a great save from a Gerard Gardiner free kick on the hour mark.

However, Bansha settled down and made it a four goal cushion five minutes later when from another set piece Niall Daly headed home.

Redmondstown were reduced to ten men then for a handball incident and Bernard Fitzgearld got his hat trick and his side’s fifth from the penalty spot.

Two late goals from Ned Lowry and Shane Mc Grath simply rubbed salt in the home teams wounds, and gave Celtic their best win of the season.

Cahir Park 3 – 3 Kilsheelan United

A thoroughly entertaining game of football in Cahir on Sunday ended with the points shared, and both sides wondering about what might have been with a little more luck by the final whistle.

Kilsheelan started stronger and went a goal up after 20 minutes through a strike by Eddie Sweeney, and were well in the driving seat five minutes later when Barry Cloona doubled their lead.

After the start to the season they have had already, Cahir could have folded at this point, but they showed an admirable resilient character and pulled a goal back 10 minutes before the break through Dessie Byrne. A minute into the second half, they were level through Shane Murphy, and looked to have completely turned it around when James McGrath gave them the lead with 20 minutes to go. However, United were not to be denied the point they deserved and Niall Cronin made the game level with a fine strike ten minutes before the end.

St Nicholas 3 – 4 Lattin Cullen

A typical local derby was this tie, and it was only decided by the odd goal in seven after both sides staked a claim for bragging rights in West Tipperary on Sunday last. Cullen will be the happier as in the absence of Tipperary Town playing Sunday, the three points they won moves them into second place in the table, but they were made fight every inch of the way by a very game Saints outfit.

The home side took the lead when a Jos O’Brien assist put Adrian O Dwyer through on goal in the 25th minute but the visitors were back level less than five minutes later when Conor Ryan blasted a free kick to the net.

The home side then re-took the lead on the stroke of half time from the penalty spot, but three goals in a ten minute spell after the hour mark, through Mark Flannery, Lennie Leahy and a second from Ryan, put Cullen in complete control. The Saints weren’t finished however, and a goal ten minutes from time by Aiden Riordan set up a frenetic finish before Cullen held on for all three points.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.