Search our Archive


St. Michael’s and Clonmel Town advance in FAI Junior Cup

FAI Junior Cup holders St. Michael’s and Clonmel Town both recorded comfortable wins on Sunday to advance to the open draw stages of this year’s competition.

FAI Junior Cup holders St. Michael’s and Clonmel Town both recorded comfortable wins on Sunday to advance to the open draw stages of this year’s competition.

St Michael’s 10

Kilsheelan United 0

The holders dominated this game from the start and never took their foot off the pedal scoring an impressive ten goals past Kilsheelan in Cooke Park on Sunday.

The game started and finished with goals from Russell Quirke who after four minutes took a ball from Brian Buckley before unleashing an unstoppable shot from outside the area. Saints continued to attack and on 11 minutes Jimmy Carr beat two defenders and pulled the ball back from the end line for Mark McGrath to finish emphatically from eight yards.

On 21 minutes Michael Buckley made it three when he dispatched a poor clearance to the net and six minutes later the home side were four up when a cross was headed home by a Kilsheelan defender.

This was how the teams went to the break, with the Saint’s in complete control.

The second half was only five minutes old when Pa Quinn scored from an acute angle and on 57 minutes Michael Buckley scored a screamer from 25 yards which nestled in the top corner past a static United keeper.

On the hour mark, Quirke added his second with a neat finish from inside the box. This gave Michael’s a chance to bring on some of their younger players and give them a taste of Cup football, and Darren McGrath, Ryan Deere and Elliot Thompson joined the fray. Deere rewarded his manager’s faith with two goals in two minutes shortly after being introduced.

In the final minutes the home team were awarded a free kick just outside the box and having started the Quirke dispatched the ball directly to the net to make it ten and an all-round good performance for the Saint’s.

Borrisokane 0

Clonmel Town 4

Clonmel Town progressed to the next round of the National Cup competition with a well-deserved victory against a very spirited North Tipperary side in Borrisokane on Sunday.

The visitors controlled the game from the start but nearly fell behind in the 27th minute when Clonmel Town goalkeeper Evan Comerford was forced to make a fingertip save from a long range shot pushing it just over the cross bar.

Rory Maher went close for Town two minutes later, and just after that, the home keeper attempted a short kick out which ended up at the feet of the grateful Aidan McGrath who slotted home for the opening goal.

The TSDL team had several opportunities to increase their lead before half time but failed to do so although Barry Ryan came closest with a super strike that was excellently saved. Five minutes into the second half, Tony Scully headed in Town’s second from a Darren Burns cross.

Town were comfortably controlling the game at this stage and substitute David McGrath tapped in the third from a Shane Flynn assist in the 68th minute.

Similarly to the first half, the visitors had numerous chances which they failed to take before eventually Aidan McGrath scored the fourth goal from close range in the final minute to cap a very comfortable win for Town.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.