The following nine people were nominated for the January ‘Fethard Sports Achievement Award’, promoted by Butler’s Sports Bar in Fethard . The aim is to recognise and reward sporting achievement be it at participation, coaching or administration level. Nominees must be over 18 and from Fethard parish, work in Fethard, live in Fethard (play for Fethard teams) or from Fethard but participate in sport elsewhere.
(1) John Leahy – A member of the Qatar squad that reached the A football final in the Asian gaelic games which were held in Kuala Lumpar Malaysia. They narrowly lost in the final to Singapore Gaelic Lions.
(2) Hillary O’Connor – A racehorse breeder who bred Moonbeg Dude the recent winner of the Walsh grand national in Chepstow.
(3) Willie McGarry – Willie represented Tipperary recently at senior darts level losing the Munster final 7 to 6 to Clare. He was also on a Clonmel team that won the Tipperary challenge cup for the second year in a row.
(4) Brian Delahunty – Nominated because of his dedication and enthusiasm to coaching gaelic football to under age players.
(5) Liz Lalor – Has overcome serious injury to ride one of her father’s horses Carrigeen Lucernia to victory at Fairyhouse this January.
(6) Stephanie Johnson – Put in a very strong performance to finish 5th in the Great Heat 10k roadrace held in Portlaoise. Her time a very creditable 44 mins.
(7) Mouse Morris – The well-known local national hunt trainer who saddled Rule The World to win a superb Grade 2 race this month at Naas racecourse.
(8) Michelle Nevin – On January 15 had her first ever winner as a trainer in the USA. Her horse Teak Totem won the $150000 Sunshine millions turf stakes at Gulfstream park Florida.
(9) Paul Fitzgerald – Well known Fethard and Tipperary net minder who played a significant part in helping Tipp to reach the McGrath cup final beating Cork and Waterford along the way.
The January winner will be announced this coming Friday night, February 1, at a function in Butlers Sports Bar. All are welcome. Nominees for February 2013 are now being taken and can be handed in to Philip Butler at Fethard Sports Bar, Main Street, Fethard, before 6pm on Friday, February 22, or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.