Search our Archive

Late Colman Kennedy goal rescues precious point

FAI Youth Inter-League Cup

FAI Youth Inter-League Cup


A goal almost on the stroke of full-time saw the TSDL salvage a valuable point against the Waterford and District League in this opening group fixture in the FAI Umbro Youth Inter-League Cup competition that provided excellent fare for the small attendance at Ozier Park, Waterford last Sunday.

Both sides concentrated on playing fast attractive football, resulting in lots of chances being created and culminating in two excellent goals, with both goal-keepers working overtime to keep the opposition at bay. In the early stages Shane Flynn of TSDL found himself in space but Waterford ‘keeper Eric Conway denied him with an excellent save after 20 minutes. Shortly afterwards it was the turn of the TSDL keeper Evan Comerford to show his expertise in denying Niall McCabe when safely gathering a dangerous cross into the box.

The visitors should have gone ahead in the 28th minute when Kevin Fahey found himself one-on-one with the ‘keeper but having done everything correctly his effort hit the side netting. In the 40th minute the visitors were lucky not to go behind when a direct free-kick from 30 yards by Adam O’Donoghue cannoned off the crossbar before being cleared to safety. Just before the interval the home side put serious pressure on the TSDL defence and ‘keeper Comerford had to be at his most alert to save from Niall McCabe, while at the other end Liam Casey failed to connect with a Shane Flynn cross. Waterford took the lead when they were awarded a direct free-kick some 35 yards out and the TSDL were caught napping as Adam Sutton’s tremendous long- range effort was inch-perfect, with the ball whizzing inside the post out of the range of the diving Evan Comerford. Following the breakthrough Waterford were now in the ascendency, dominating the midfield exchanges and putting the visitors under continuous pressure. Evan Comerford had to be at his best to thwart two more efforts, one an in-swinging cross that he touched over the crossbar, followed by a first-time shot from Waterford substitute Aimihui Josh. With time running out a fine headed effort by Colman Kennedy was well taken by Waterford ‘keeper Eric Conway and it appeared that the home side would take all three points. However in the 89th minute a superb shot from the edge of the penalty area by Colman Kennedy found the back of the net to give the visitors a deserved share of the spoils.

There was still time for more drama in the three additional minutes. Shane Flynn set up Jamie O’Connor, whose shot was just over the crossbar, while at the other end Waterford were denied victory with TSDL left-back Keelan Hickey clearing a goal-bound shot in the dying seconds. It was an excellent all-round performance by every member of the TSDL squad, who were playing their very first competitive game together. The next outing is this Saturday away to West Waterford/East Cork League in Cappoquin at 2.30. Manager Peter O’Sullivan and his backroom staff will be anxious to see their charges take all three points from this game, which would then set it up nicely for their final group fixture away to holders Kilkenny. TSDL - E. Comerford (Clonmel Town),  R. Flynn (Clonmel Town), K. Hickey (Cahir Park), John O’Connor (Two Mile Borris), G. O’Callaghan (St. Michael’s),  I. Flannery (Cahir Park),  S. Flynn (Clonmel Town), G. Carey (St. Michael’s),  L. Casey (Cahir Park), C. Kennedy (Clonmel Town), K. Fahey (Clonmel Town).  Substitutes used -  Jamie O’Connor (Two Mile Borris), K. Browne (Clonmel Town) and D. Thompson (St. Michael’s).

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.