Search our Archive


Pack superb as Carrick push for promotion

Carrick-on-Suir’s promotion hopes remain alive after a committed, gutsy and wholehearted 11-point 16-5 win in a soaking Fermoy.

Carrick-on-Suir’s promotion hopes remain alive after a committed, gutsy and wholehearted 11-point 16-5 win in a soaking Fermoy.

Danny and Scott asked for total commitment both before the match and during the half-time break and the team, captained by David Kiersey (who produced a blinding display) more than delivered on that front.

Having conceded a try after 14 minutes - in what was in truth the hosts’ sole serious back line move of the entire match, Carrick knuckled down and produced a towering display up front.

The conditions dictated that this was not a day for free-running, skip pass rugby, and as the game wore on, Carrick adapted to the conditions, so much so that the error count during the second half was quite low, and that’s worth noting considering how terrible the weather was.

Physically, Carrick wore down Fermoy and enjoyed territorial dominance in the second quarter of the match, and they were eventually rewarded when the returning Kevin Lanigan touched down in the right corner as half-time beckoned.

After the interval, Carrick cranked up the physical stakes and bludgeoned the beleaguered Fermoy pack, leading to the award of a penalty try, due reward for some magnificent front row work from Eddie Barry, Willie Stokes and Sean Cuddy.

Charlie Boland and James Wallace added penalties in the 60th and 77th minutes respectively on a day when Carrick’s territorial dominance was not reflected on the scoreboard.

And victory would surely have been secured by an even greater margin had it not been for the uncontested scrums that had to be called after injuries to two Fermoy props, indicative of Carrick’s dominance up front.

This was a very heartening effort from absolutely everyone involved, including our replacements, all of whom made a great contribution in addition to some towering individual displays from the starting XV.

Carrick: PJ O’Shea, Kevin Lanigan, James Wallace, Brian Slattery, Dermot Lanigan, Charlie Boland, Ed O’Donnell; Eddie Barry, Willie Stokes, Sean Cuddy; Nollag Brophy, Sean Fitzpatrick; Evan Stanley, Mick Carroll, David Kiersey (captain).

Replacements: Noel Phelan, Derek Reade, Luke Farrell, David Harrison, Michael Loughman, Eoghan Power.

Carrick girls u-18s beat St Mary’s of Limerick (three-times Munster champions) 43-12. Carrick established a lead of 19-0 within the first 20 minutes. Thereafter, our team sat back a little and by half-time realised that Mary’s weren’t going to fold the tent and by the break the score read Carrick 19 St Mary’s 12. With the wind at their backs now and with renewed focus, Carrick’s forwards hunted down the ball, counter-rucking and turning over breakdowns with regularity. They won several scrums against the head, thus setting up the backs to enjoy ball to hand, crossing the gain line phase after phase culminating in try after try, several of which were converted by Chloe Blackmore.

Carrick - Donna Maher, Karen Ryan, Aimee Treacy, Jean Power, Eimear Bourke, Aoife Moore (captain), Chloe Blackmore, Ellen Commins, Ciara Lonergan, Kate English, Faye Drohan, Sinead Tobin, Zoe Lynch, Kelly Walsh, Aoife Kearns.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.