Search our Archive


More options in the forward line helps Eire Og to win over gallant Cappawhite

Tipperary Co-Op SuperValu Senior Hurling Championship

Tipperary Co-Op SuperValu Senior Hurling Championship

Eire Óg 1-13 Cappawhite 0-14

The match between Eire Óg and Cappawhite in the Tipperary Co-Op Super Valu senior hurling championship at Golden on Sunday afternoon was quite an exciting affair, especially in the final quarter with the verdict uncertain until the last minutes.

At times it appeared as if Eire Óg would pull away and win handy but Cappawhite kept plugging away and even though their forward power was limited, they succeeded in keeping in touch.

Eire Óg had the benefit of a strong breeze in the first half and should have been more than three points in front at the interval. They had a lot of the play and their half-back line of Kev Fox, Conor O’Brien and Tom Fox kept their forwards well supplied.

Cappawhite kept in touch through the free-taking of Ger O’Neill with the result that at the end of the first quarter the sides were level at 0-5 each. Eire Óg had a couple of good shots at goal stopped by a very alert Franny Quinn who belied his years with an outstanding performance between the Cappa posts.

Eire Óg pulled away a bit during the second quarter but yet were only 0-10 to 0-7 in front at the interval. Perhaps the big difference between the sides was in the forward line. In Eire Óg’s case the scoring was shared by nine players, whereas all bar one score for Cappawhite came from Ger O’Neill

It was Eire Óg who got off to the better start with a goal from Damian O’Brien in the second minute after the resumption. It came from a schemozzle in the front of the Cappa goal and the ball had been saved twice before it was finished by O’Brien. He followed up with a point to put seven points between the sides. It didn’t look good for Cappawhite.

However, Eire Óg didn’t score again for eighteen minutes, when Ronan O’Brien converted a free to bring their score to 1-12. In the meantime Cappawhite had scored six points and reduced the margin between the teams to two points. In the twenty-seventh minute a Ger Ó’Neill free reduced the margin to a point.

In the remaining minutes Cappawhite had a number of chances to score the equaliser but failed to do so. Eire Óg also had chances to increase their lead. The final score came in the thirty-fourth minutes when Ronan O’Brien pointed a free to give Eire Óg a two-point margin of victory on a scoreline of 1-13 to 0-14.

The closeness of the exchanges made this an enjoyable game and Cappawhite will have to regret getting so close to a draw but failing to push over the line. Eire Óg now look set to take the second spot on the table at the end of the league stage of the competition.

As stated above the Eire Óg half-back line played a key role in their victory. Others to impress were Ronan and Damian O’Brien and Patrick Aherne. Franny Quinn, Tom Treacy, Ger O’Neill and Donagh Heffernan were best for Cappawhite.

Eire Óg: Darragh Mooney, Michael O’Dwyer, Brian Fox, Philip McGrath, Kev Fox (0-1), Conor O’Brien (0-1), Tom Fox, Jeremy Furlong, Dan Hogan (0-1), Donal O’Dwyer (0-1), Ronan O’Brien (0-4), Patrick Aherne (0-1), Seanie Ryan (0-1), Damien O’Brien (1-2), Eoin Bradshaw (0-1). Subs: Paudie O’Dwyer for Damien O’Brien, Michael McGrath for Patrick Aherne.

Cappawhite: Franny Quinn, Cathal McCarthy, Sean Ryan, Ger Ryan, Tom Treacy (0-2), Michael O’Neill, Ross Dunne, Matthew Kennedy, Donagh Heffernan, Paddy Julian, Niall Hayes, Kevin Stapleton, Russell Quirke, Jerry O’Neill (0-11), Timmy Cranley. Subs: Matthew Ryan (W) for Niall Hayes, Pat O’Neill (0-1) for Kevin Stapleton.

Referee: Phil Ryan (Kickhams)

(P.S. We complained last week about players not wearing the numbers assigned them on the program. In last Sunday’s match sheet at Golden the Cappawhite team that appeared included the Kickhams forward line! It wasn’t a case of the clubs getting into the transfer market but rather a mix up at the printing stage. The board apologises to the patrons.)

Like ‘watching paint dry’ as Clonoulty overcome Kickhams

Clonoulty-Rossmore 3-14

Kickhams 0-10

This was a poor game, of the ‘watching paint dry’ variety as Clonoulty-Rossmore scored a comprehensive victory over a spiritless Kickhams in the second game at Golden on Sunday afternoon in the Tipperary Co-Op Super Valu senior hurling championship.

The game never really came alight and, as well as poor play, was punctuated by numerous stoppages as an unusual number of players, one of them seriously, went down with injuries.

Actually Kickhams started off brightly against the breeze, with Brian Horgan having the first point soon after the start, and missing a good opportunity soon after. But the brightness faded and they failed to score again until the middle of the half and could manage only four points in all by half-time.

Paudie White opened proceedings for Clonoulty with a point in the second minute but they didn’t really go to town with the wind in their backs. They suffered the setback of an injury to Sean Maher early on and this halted the game for about five minutes. The stoppage may have halted their momentum.

They got a big lift with a goal from Aiden White, who had replaced the injured Maher, in the tenth minute. This score followed great confusion in the Kickham goalmouth. They added a number of points to lead by 1-8 to 0-4 at the interval, not a commanding lead having played with wind advantage.

There was an expectation that Kickhams would come alive on the resumption but there was no sign of it. Instead Clonoulty added 1-2 before Kickhams registered a score. The goal was scored by John Devane and it put the tin hat on the game as a contest.

Clonoulty had another injury when Tom Butler was replaced and Kickhams came into the game a bit towards the middle of the half, but they had no fire power up front and scores were few, and there were no goals among them. As well they came up against outstanding performances by Liam Devane and John O’Keeffe in the Clonoulty backs.

The game dragged its slow length along and was well and truly over by the time John Devane got his second goal in the twenty-ninth minute and it finished up with a thirteen point victory for the defending champions on a scoreline of 3-14 to 0-10.

As well as Liam Devane and John O’Keeffe, Clonoulty were well-served by Fiachra O’Keeffe, Paudie White, Aidan White and John Devane. Not many added to their stature on the Kickhams side, but Paul O’Dwyer, James Shanahan, Damien McGrath and Richard Horgan deserve mention.

Clonoulty-Rossmore: Jimmy Maher, Joey O’Keeffe, Ciaran Quirke, Jason Forrestal, Liam devane, John O’Keeffe, Padraig Heffernan, Paudie White (0-3), Conor Hammersley, Sean Maher, Tom Butler Timmy Hammersley (0-8), Fiachra O’Keeffe (0-1), John Devane (2-1), John O’Neill (0-1). Subs: Aidan White (1-0) for Sean Maher, Paddy Ryan for Tom Butler.

Kickhams: Paddy Ryan, Michael Shanahan, Nigel Hayes, James Shanahan, Michael Heelan, Eoin Carew, Paul O’Dwyer, Damien McGrath, Paudie Hayes, Pakie Farrell, Alan Horgan (0-5), Richard Horgan (0-4), Davy Butler, Brian Horgan (0-1), Paudie Slattery. Subs: Darragh Browne for Alan Horgan, Patrick Ryan for Damien McGrath, Cathal Morissey for Nigel Hayes.

Referee: Tom McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney)

Loud mouth silenced as Josh Keane’s goal helps Golden to a draw

Cashel King Cormacs 1-8

Golden-Kilfeacle 1-8

Cashel King Cormacs and Golden-Kilfeacle played a draw in their match in the Tipperary Co-Op Super Valu senior hurling championship at Dundrum on Sunday evening. Since both teams have failed to win a game in this year’s championship, the contest was to decided who would avoid the bottom of the table.

Because of the closeness of the contest and the absolute uncertainty of the outcome until the very end, the game retained the interest of the attendance composed predominantly of supporters of each side.

Golden had the breeze in their favour in the first half and this advantage was reflected in the scoreline at half-time, when they led by 0-6 to 0-2. In fact they should have been further ahead as they hit eight wides in the course of the half.

Cashel had the wind advantage after half-time but it took them a while to get scores. By the twenty-fifth minute they had reduced the lead to a point, having scored four points to Golden’s one during the period.

Then in the twenty-sixth minute James Cummins goaled for Cashel to the great excitement of their supporters. The goal appeared to have come at the right time and to set Cashel up for victory.

However, a minute later, before the cheers had died down, Golden were into the attack and one of their forwards was fouled about thirty-five yards from the Cashel goal. The inevitable loud mouth had to have a go at the referee about his decision so the latter brought the ball forward ten yards. This gave Josh Keane a great opportunity and, in spite of Cashel lining their goalmouth, he sent the ball to the back of the net and put Golden in the driving seat once more.

The effort became frenetic as Cashel players tried hard for the equaliser and Golden tried equally hard to prevent it. Adrian Cummins came to the rescue with a point in the twenty-ninth minute for the equaliser, and three minutes later Dylan Fitzell gave Cashel the lead.

However, Golden were not done yet and they went into the attack once more. One of their forwards was fouled about thirty yards out and Josh Keane made no mistake in sending the ball straight between the posts for the equaliser at 1-8 each. The final whistle followed soon after.

It was probably the fairest result in the circumstances. Each side had opportunities to win the game but spurned them. Cashel were best served by Brian Minogue, Jonathan Grogan and Robert Anglim, while Golden got good performances from Ronan Hayes, Daithi Bargary, Josh Keane, Brendan Moloney and Christopher Ryan.

Cashel King Cormacs: Eoin Quirke, Tony Hewitt, Brian Minogue, Paddy Morrissey, John Darmody, Jonathan Grogan (0-3), Ross Doyle, Simon Delaney, Robert Anglim, Gearóid Slattery, Turlough Bonnar, Adrian Cummins (0-3), Philip Taylor (0-1), Ronie O’Donoghue, James Cummins (1-0). Subs: Lee Burke for Robert Anglim, Eoghan Ryan for Gearóid Slattery, Dylan Fitzell (0-1) for Ronie O’Donoghue.

Golden-Kilfeacle: Declan Donnelly, Gerard Fogarty, Kevin Moloney, Ronan Hayes, Cathal Hayes, Aidan O’Connell, Shane O’Connell, Daithi Bargary (0-1), James O’Connell, John Colohan, Shane Stapleton, Josh Keane (1-3), Brendan Moloney (0-1), Christopher Ryan (0-3), Seanie O’Halloran. Subs: Sean Ryan (S) for Shane Stapleton, Sean Hayes for Sean Ryan.

Referee: Fergal Horgan (Kickhams)

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.