Launch of Championships: The eagerly awaited launch of championships takes place this Thursday night, March 10th, in Hayes Hotel at 8pm. All club delegates and officers are invited to attend as are the under 12 managers as we also launch our Premier 12s Mini Leagues. Divisional sponsors will also be in attendance as we gear up for the new season ahead. In advance of the meeting all clubs are requested to ensure all trophies are returned and engraved for display on the night. Clubs are once more reminded to have registration of players complete and details with divisional secretary Sally Young prior to any participation in this years matches. Would any club with outstanding returns due to the Bord please have your matters cleared with divisional treasurer Tim Shanahan on or before the meeting too.
Fixtures Meeting: A fixtures meeting only will be held after the launch of championships on Thursday night. Clubs should have all relevant information on hand re confirmation, communion, school tours etc to alleviate unnecessary adjustment of fixture schedule at a later date.
Results: 05/03/2011 Jimmy Coppinger Peil na nÓg Semi-finals; Moycarkey-Borris 1-03 Drom-Inch 5-10, Durlas Óg 2-03 JK Brackens 3-05. Final; Drom-Inch 0-11 JK Brackens 0-02.
Upcoming Fixtures: Jimmy Coppinger Feile na nGael Quarter-finals; Holycross-Ballycahill v Moycarkey-Borris, JK Brackens v Drom-Inch. Jimmy Coppinger Feile na nGael Semi-finals Durlas Óg v winners JK Brackens v Drom-Inch and Boherlahan-Dualla v winners Holycross-Ballycahill v Moycarkey-Borris. Extra time in all matches. Fixtures to be confirmed at Thursday night’s meeting.
Premier 12s Mini Leagues: In continuation of our promotion and familiarization of the Premier 12s Mini Leagues, the following is a brief synopsis of the format;
• Maximum 11 aside (+ 4 subs) for clubs with more than one team
• Duration 2 X 20 minutes with substitutions made at half time unless having to make substitutions through injury
• Every player to get a minimum of half a game through unlimited substitution
• Girls are allowed to play
• Strongest players on first 15 etc, named to divisional secretary before commencement of games.
• Official referees used.
• All players to be numbered on two team sheets and team sheets to be given to referee before game starts.
• Starting 11 players ticked on team sheet with list given to referee at half time with substitutions names.
• Four Groups 1, 2, 3, 4 where all teams play league rounds with play off to decide top two teams for end games in all four divisions
• Top two teams in each division will then take part in County end games in Semple Stadium
• NB all U-12 tournaments must follow the same guidelines as above, 11 a side etc.
• Games are small-sided and all participants get to play at least half a game
• Games are played in a fun environment with emphasis on improving skills.
• Participants are not subject to the win at all costs approach.
• More touches of the ball by all players throughout all areas of the pitch.
• Increased opportunities to develop decision making with more one on one situations.
• Less perceived pressure on players from coaches and parents.
• The emphasis is on player development rather than winning or losing.
Under 10 Go Games: The new season of under 10 Go Games commenced last Saturday with a county wide Go Games football blitz held in Dr Morris Park. A tremendous success was the overall verdict in an efficiently run programme and all augurs well for continued success throughout the year. Well done to the organisers and all clubs for taking part.
Schools Indoor Hurling Blitzes: Over 450 kids from schools in Mid Tipperary took part in an Indoor Hurling Blitz held recently in Thurles Sarsfields Social Centre. This blitz was held over 4 days. Thanks to the following TY students Conor Lanigan, David Russell, Tom Meehan, Caley Maher (Thurles CBS) and Micheala Graham (Presentation Convent Thurles) who helped make this venture a huge success. Visitors to the blitz over the 4 days included Tommy Barrett (Co Board President), Sally Young (Mid Bord na nOg Secretary), Dinny Maher (County Games Manager), Brendan Maher (Tipperary hurler) and of course Liam McCarthy himself. Photos taken over the blitz days can be seen on the Coaching and Games Website.
Coaching & Games Website: The county Coaching and games website is being updated regularly with news of coaching activities within and out of the county and pictures taken at different events e.g. blitzes and cup visits to schools. The website address is http://coaching.tipperary.gaa.ie .
Congratulations: We send congratulations to His Grace, Archbishop Dermot Clifford, Patron of the GAA, as he celebrates his silver jubilee this week. Also, to Anne O’Grady on her appointment as editor of the Tipperary Star. The Bord and clubs wish them both many years of continued success.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.