Search our Archive


North Tipperary & District League

NT&DL Tipperary Cup

NT&DL Tipperary Cup

Borrisokane ‘B’ came through a penalty shoot-out against Nenagh Celtic ‘C’ to book their place in the second round of the Tipperary Cup. Normal time and extra time had failed to produce a winner when Ian Quigley’s hat-trick was cancelled out with goals from Cornelius Cleary, Sean Tanner and Paul McGee.

However, Borrisokane proved the more clinical in the shootout on a 5-3 scoreline and had their target men in Ian Quigley, Mike Fox, Aaron Looney Will Brooks and Marc Rahmoune, while Cornelius Cleary, Sean Tanner and Kieran Duffy converted for Nenagh Celtic. Borrisokane goalkeeper Will Brooks turned in a man of the match performance and capped it off by saving twice in the shootout before stepping up to convert the winning penalty for the home side.

Borroway Rovers trekked to Glenbane for this Tipperary Cup fixture against Holycross ‘B’ and progressed to the third round on a two nil score line. The visitors opened their account after ten minutes when David Keane’s clinical free kick was finished to the net by William Carroll. Holycross applied the pressure after this and will rue not converting from the spot to leave the Thurles side with a one nil advantage at the break. Borroway doubled their advantage midway through the second half when JJ Gleeson scored from a William Carroll assist to leave no way back for Holycross on this occastion.

Holycross ‘A’ travelled to play high flying Clonmore and recorded a commendable three nil win over the Second Division league leaders. It was two nil to the Glenbane side at the midway stage after a Seanie Comerford effort was deflected to the net in the tenth minute and then Kyle Denny got in on the act on 36 minutes to double the Holycross tally. Paul Fogarty wrapped it up ten minutes from time to give Holycross a comprehensive win on the day.

Drombane was the venue for the meeting of Arra Rovers and Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ in the Tipperary Cup with the Portroe side progressing to the third round with a slender 2-1 winning margin. Clodiagh Rangers had taken the lead in the 10th minute when Paul Doyle squared for Denis McCullagh to slot home. The Portroe side got back level ten minutes before half time when John Barry broke through to finish. It was tit for tat in the second half; however Stephen Flynn netted the all-important goal on 75 minute to clinch the win.

This eye catching result saw Borrisokane ‘A’ dish out a heavy defeat to BT Harps ‘A’ on a 7-2 score line in Borrisokane last Sunday morning to qualify for the last sixteen of the Tipperary Cup. David Nevin set Borrisokane on their way with the opener ten minutes before the break. BT Harps got it back level five minutes later through James Kavanagh, however the home side took a 2-1 lead to the break when Colm Larkin hit the target. BT Harps drew level for the second time a minute after the restart thanks to Killian O’Neill finish. Borrisokane took over after this and hit the Templemore side for five without reply Colm Larkin added his second of the day while Brian Donnelly, Seo Cleary, John Butler and Gerard Comerford were also amongst the scorers.

Sallypark ‘A’ came through against Kilcommon on a winning margin of four goals to nil last Sunday in Sallypark to book their place in the next round of the Tipperary Cup. The home side were two up at the break following an Eoin Ryan penalty on 25 minutes and a twenty yard effort from David Keogh with two minutes remaining in the half. David Young was in the action again to make it three nil on the hour mark. It was game, set and match in the 80th minute when Paddy McInerney tacked on goal number four for the home side. The outcome might have been different had Kilcommon scored from the spot early in second half, however Sallypark custodian Damien Corcoran saved to deny the visitors.

Fast Food Cup

Noreside Celtic advanced to the last eight of the Third Division Cup courtesy of a one nil win over Lough Derg ‘B’ in Montore on Sunday morning. An evenly contest game throughout saw Niall Matthews bag the all-important goal in the 85th minute after connecting with Gary Kenneally’s pass to volley to the back of the net which proved the difference on the day.

Premier Division League

Cloughjordan maintain pole position at the top of the Premier Division following a gritty 2-1 away win over Nenagh Celtic at Nenagh VEC last Sunday. It was scoreless at the break; however Craig Connolly put the Nenagh side ahead with a fine left footed strike twenty minutes from time. The League leaders made a strong finish and got back level on 76 minutes when Davy Williams snatched an equaliser and then Michael Costello crashed home the winner with ten minutes remaining.

Nenagh AFC welcomed Thurles Town to Islandbawn for this league clash and emerged victorious on a 5-1 score line over the visiting side. Nenagh AFC showed the early prowess and took the lead when Michael O’Gorman fired home from the edge of the box. Arthur Mitchell made it two nil with a swift turn and finish to leave Nenagh AFC two nil ahead at the break. Michael O’Gorman gave the home side a three nil advantage with a converted penalty shortly after the restart. Thurles Town rallied and pulled a goal back courtesy of a Padraig Fogarty header from a Michael Ryan free kick. The Brickfields side took up a 4-1 advantage when Michael O’Gorman completed his hat-trick with his second from the spot. John Mitchell copper fastened with win for Nenagh AFC with a twenty five yard shot to send Thurles Town home empty handed.

First Division League

Moneygall hosted Ardcroney at the Ballingrawn venue last Sunday morning and took all three points on a narrow 2-1 score line. Ardcroney hit the front with a free kick effort from twenty five yards. The home side showed strongly at the start of the second half as Patsy Greene crashed home two goals in a five minute spell the first coming in the 50th minute. Ardcroney tried hard to get back in to the game, but met stiff resistance from a stubborn Moneygall rearguard.

Thurles Celtic were at home to Rearcross and lost out on a 4-2 scoreline to the visiting side. The home side hit the front in the 4th minute when Mark Quinlan got the last touch on Andy Landers corner kick to prod between the posts. Rearcross got back level when Liam O’Toole was challenged inside the box before the referee pointed to the spot, Derek O’Toole stepped up to rifle to the back of the net despite the best efforts of the Thurles Celtic custodian. The hosts hit the woodwork twice in a two minute spell and then Rearcross went ahead a minute later when Kieran Devitt knocked between the posts from close range with 23 minutes gone in the half. The league leaders stretched their advantage in the 3rd minute of injury time at the end of the opening half when good approach play saw Kieran Devitt get behind the Thurles Celtic rearguard before sending a low effort inside the upright. Rearcross opened up a 4-1 lead thirteen minutes in to the second half when Mark Hogan’s superb free kick from all of thirty yards rattled the back of the net. Thurles Celtic scored a consolation goal on 91 minutes with a fine effort when Jamie Stapleton’s cross from the right was met by Kevin Croke who headed home at the back post.

Nenagh AFC ‘B’ were 2-1 winners over BT Harps in Templemore on Sunday afternoon, both sets of defenses dominated affairs in the first half to leave it stalemate at the break. BT Harps took the lead thanks to a Cathal Leahy finish early in the second half; however Nenagh AFC stepped it up after this and levelled with a Michael O’Brien strike. Shane O’Gorman clinched all three points for the visitors with a well taken goal

Second Division League

Streamstown claimed the win over Templetuohy on a narrow 2-1 scoreline in Roscrea last Sunday, Derek Halpin and Brian Kirwan were the Streamstown marksmen while Tom Meade scored the lone reply for Templetuohy.

Ballymackey ‘A’ were 4-1 victors over Nenagh AFC ‘C’ in this league fixture played in Ballinree on Sunday morning. Mark Casey put the home side ahead in the opening half with a well taken goal and were denied a second by the visiting custodian who made a fine save from the spot. Timmy Fleming made it two nil to Ballymackey with a well worked goal and then Timmy Fleming got his second of the outing midway through the second half. Nenagh pulled a goal back on 75 minutes when Martin Fogarty obliged following a Dylan Walsh assist. Ballymackey picked it up again and restored their lead when Niall O’Lone struck a thirty yard effort to give Ballymackey a comfortable win on the day.

Third Division League

Cloughjordan ‘B’ and Gurtagarry played out a three all draw in Cloughjordan last Sunday morning. Gurtagarry opened up a one nil lead twenty minutes in with a Mark Harty finish and then Darren Delaney made it two nil in the 62nd minute. Thomas Williams reduced the Cloughjordan deficit with a goal from the spot. It looked as if the visitors had done enough when Paddy Tuohy stretched the Gurtagarry lead to 3-1, however the home side came storming back and scored two late goals through James Feighery and Niall Farrell to leave it all square at the full time whistle.

NT&DL Youths Cup

Nenagh AFC Youths had too much strength for Arra Rovers Youths in this Cup tie played in Nenagh. Ben Banaghan helped himself to a hat-trick, Danny Butler, Luke Kennedy and Birindar Singh notched up a brace apiece while Dylan Walsh and Emmet Dwyer were also on the scoresheet. Conor Ryan scored the Rovers goal.


Friday February 8th at 7pm

Division 1 League

Rearcross v Ardcroney - J. McGrath

Sunday February 10th

Munster Junior Cup

Clonmel Celtic v

Nenagh Celtic 2.30pm

Premier Division League

at 11.30am.

Sallypark v Cloughjordan

- E. O’Shea

B. T. Harps v Thurles Town

- T. Sweeney

Lough Derg v Borrisokane

- J. McGrath

Division 1 League

Arra Rovers v B. T. Harps B

2pm.- N. Lawlor

Clodiagh Rangers v Thurles Celtic

11.30 - L. Kelly

Division 2 League

Nenagh AFC C v Streamstown

Celtic 11.30 - P. Horgan

Kilcommon v Puckane

2pm - P. Moyles

Clonmore v Ballymackey

11.30 - A. McCormack

Division 3 League

Cloughjordan B v Ballymackey B

2pm - T. Lynch

Gurtagarry v Clodiagh Rangers B

11.30 - J. McCarthy

Noreside Celtic v Shannon

Rangers 11.30 - G. Roche

Ricky Fogarty Cup 1st Round

Borroway Rovers v Nenagh AFC

11.30 - M. Goldsboro

Fast Food Cup

Borrisokane B v Moneygall B

11.30 - T. P. Sullivan


North Tipp Youths Cup

Nenagh AFC 8 Arra Rovers 0

Youths League

Nenagh Celtic 2

Clodiagh Rangers 0

Ardcroney 2 B. T. Harps 0

N. T. & D. L. Tipperary Cup

1st. Round

Moneygall B v Ballymackey B - Off

Nenagh Celtic C 3

Borrisokane B 2 (4-5pens aet)

2nd. Round

Clonmore 0 Holycross A 3

Sallypark A v Kilcommon

11.30 - N. Lawlor

Holycross B 0 Borroway Rovers 2

Lough Derg A v Shannon

Rangers - Off

Arra Rovers 2 Clodiagh Rangers A 1

Borrisokane A 7 B. T. Harps A 2

Fast Food Cup

1st Round

Noreside Celtic 1 Lough Derg B 0

Premier Division League

Nenagh AFC 5 Thurles Town 1

Nenagh Celtic 1 Cloughjordan 2

Division 1 League

B T Harps B 1 Nenagh AFC B 2

Thurles Celtic 2 Rearcross 4

Moneygall 2 Ardcroney 1

Division 2 League

Streamstown Celtic 2

Templetuohy 1

Ballymackey 4 Nenagh AFC C 1

Division 3 League

Cloughjordan B 3 Gurtagarry 3

Clodiagh Rangers

Ballymackey 5 - 1 Clodiagh: Clodiagh U10’s made the trip to Ballymackey on Saturday morning but suffered a heavy loss to a good home side. Having gone a goal down early on, Clodiagh responded when Sean Phillips scored his first goal for the Drombane side with a well struck shot to the roof of the net. This left the sides level at the break. However the concession of three goals early in the second period left Clodiagh with an uphill task and Ballymackey ran out comfortable winners in the end. This is a very enthusiastic Clodiagh team and many of the players will be U10 again next season so with continued practice particularly with their defending and passing they will improve their results on the pitch. Team: Mikey Griffin, Jack Ryan, Eoin Bourke, Tom Purcell, Jim Ryan, Sean Phillips, Oisin Treacy, Sean Ryan and Mike Ryan (H).

Clodiagh Rangers 2 - 0 Ballymackey: Clodiagh U12’s kept their league challenge on track with a hard fought victory over Ballymackey in Drombane last Saturday. The home side edged in front mid-way through the first half when Jack Ryan Casey got on the end of a good Darragh Bourke delivery and coolly finished the ball to the net. The Clodiagh striker almost doubled his tally minutes later but his strike rebounded off the post to safety. Early in the second half the visitors came close to an equaliser but for a timely challenge from Dillon Maher in the Clodiagh rearguard. However the Drombane boys settled the tie with 12 minutes to go when Keith Ryan struck a curling right footed shot to the net from the edge of the area. Others to impress for Clodiagh were keeper Ryan Davern and Paddy Ryan (Lanty) in defence. Team: Ryan Davern, Dillon Maher, James Griffin, Paddy Ryan (Lanty), Patrick Purcell, Keith Ryan, Darragh Bourke, AJ Shanahan, Jack Ryan Casey, Aidan Slattery, Matthew Davern & Luke Shanahan.

03rd February ‘13, Division One, Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ 1 vs Arra Rovers ‘A’ 2

Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ welcomed Arra Rovers ‘A’ to Drombane on Sunday afternoon for the second round of the North Tipperary Cup. The home team played into a stiff breeze in the opening half but were well on top and took the lead inside half an hour. Neat build-up play between Tommy Stevens and Paul English released Paul Doyle down the right wing, who in turn beat the fullback for pace and crossed to an unmarked Denis McCullagh to fire home from close range. Clodiagh Rangers might have doubled their lead moments later when Shane O’Dwyer this time played Paul Doyle through on the left wing but his shot sailed over the crossbar. Arra Rovers stung the hosts with an equalizer five minutes before the break with a blistering shot to the top corner from just inside the area. The visitors emerged in buoyant mood in the second half and applied all the pressure for the opening minutes of the half, but Clodiagh Rangers held firm and gradually wrestled back control of the game. Despite dominating the second half, chances were at a premium for the home team, and other than a couple of distance efforts from Owen Shortt and James Murray, the visiting keeper was rarely troubled. Disaster struck for Clodiagh Rangers with ten minutes to play when Arra Rovers took the lead against the run of play with a well-executed counter-attack goal. Despite peppering the Arra Rovers penalty area with crosses for the final ten minutes and two goal mouth scrambles, Clodiagh Rangers could not find a goal to force the match to extra time, and so disappointingly bow out of the Cup at the second round stage.

Team: Adrian Cooke; Paul English, Greg Fewer, Matt McCullagh, James Murray; Tommy Stevens, Gareth Foxton, Denis McCullagh, Shane O’Dwyer; Paul Doyle, Owen Shortt. Subs: Jason Forrestal, Rob Sheehy, Barry Maher.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.