Search our Archive


Roscrea Triumph Over Edenderry In Midland League

Edenderry 13 – Roscrea 22

Edenderry 13 – Roscrea 22

Midland League Rugby

Roscrea’s first competitive fixture of the season kicked off at 1pm in glorious sunshine, but with a vicious and gusting north westerly wind. The game started brightly for Roscrea who managed to put together several excellent phases of play. The forwards were off-loading quickly in the tackle, pressurising the Edenderry defence, and the backs were moving fluidly.

Inside 10 minutes Roscrea’s fly half John Lillis made a break past two motionless defenders and offloaded to Ray Moloney who was pursuing at break-neck speed. He was able to ship the ball to Ger Stone who as usual put his body on the line in a heroic effort to touchdown for the try, unfortunately sustaining a facial injury in the process; the conversion was added by John Lillis.

Roscrea made excellent use of the space on the field and optimised the wind to put the ball into pockets of space, constantly keeping the Edenderry wingers pegged back deep in their own half.

Edenderry had some useful possession of their own however and after a series of hard hits through the middle of the field managed to touch down themselves under the posts. Both sides were exploring the lessons learnt through the preseason, with Roscrea making intelligent backline moves with Cormac Bulfin setting up John Lillis to direct the plays. Ray Moloney added an extra dimension to the attack and with an impressive turn of pace and new boys Eddie O’Keefe and Dave Furlong were confident under numerous high balls.

The second half saw changes of personnel on both sides which in ways altered the dynamic of the game with less of an emphasis on the kicking game. Ray Moloney made another fantastic break, sidestepping left then right to leave Edenderry backs floundering. Denis Moloney was at hand close in support to carry the ball over the line, with a successful conversion again added by John. Roscrea were by now putting serious pressure on in the forwards. Kieran Stone and Kieran Comerford provided grit and aggression in the ruck, and Malachy again performing fantastically in the line out despite the howling gale.

Malachy Maher capped a fantastic period of forward play with a beautiful try, a short rolling maul followed by a brace of excellent rucks saw several Edenderry players scattered on their backs across the field unable to withstand the ferocity of the Roscrea attack.

Several penalty scores later the scores were set at 22-13, but the match had around 10 minutes left to play, and Edenderry had visions of a comeback. Roscrea absorbed several phases of heavy artillery from the Edenderry forwards, and on two occasions Cormac Bulfin and Ray Moloney were called upon to make try saving tackles. Defensive drills through the summer paid dividends though and Roscrea took home the spoils. Next home match will be at Streamstown on the 25th September at 3pm.

Please come along and support the team and have the chance to enter the amazing Grand Draw, with a chance to win a tour of New Zealand or a Volkswagen Car! Our best wishes are extended to Ger Stone and we hope that he will get well soon and we will see him shortly back at the club.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.