Search our Archive


Tiobraid Arann Bórd na Nog Scene

Arravale Rovers bridge twenty six year gap securing hurling honours.

Arravale Rovers bridge twenty six year gap securing hurling honours.

Last Saturday was an action packed afternoon in Cashel with the staging of the U 14 A, B, & C county finals.

Full credit to all concerned at the Cashel King Cormacs club for having everything in top order and with the weather conditions excellent the stage was set for a good afternoon entertainment.

First on the program was the C final with south champions Fethard taking on Solohead from the west. This game never produced a spectacle for the attendance as Fethard were far superior to their opponents. On the third minute Jack Ward opened the scoring frenzy for Fethard with a pointed free. The Solohead net was shaking with a Harry Butler goal on the sixth minute being the recipient of a lovely pass after a long solo run from defence by his colleague Ross McCormack. By the tenth minute Fethard had added four more points to their tally of 1-05 with points courtesy of Harry Butler (2) and one apiece from Ross McCormack and. Darren Lynch.

During this period Solohead were prevented from venturing beyond mid field such was the prowess of Fethard. On the fourteenth minute another solo run by McCormack added a second Fethard goal and seconds later more misery for Solohead as their net was shaking for the third time courtesy of Jack Ward to give Fethard a 3-05 lead.. As the half time whistle sounded Fethard had two more points one each from Ward and McCormack for an interval score of Fethard 3-07 Solohead no score.

The second period of the game was no different as more misery piled upon the Solohead defence leaking a further 4-06 while getting onto to the score board with two pointed frees from Jack Redican and Ben Quinn . At full time the score line read Fethard 7-13 Solohead 0-02.

At the presentation of the cup to Fethard Captain Jesse McCormack county chairman Joe Kennedy while commiserating with Solohead acknowledged their performance despite the huge pressure they endured from a victorious Fethard team.

Fethard panel : Peter Wall Josef O’Connor, Conor Harrington, Stephen Crotty, Liam Quigley, Ross McCormack (1-04) , Darragh Lynch ( 1-01), Jack Dolan, Harry Butler (1-00), Jack Ward ( 1-05 , 02 from frees) , Dean Kenny (1-02 , 01 from frees), Jesse McCormack Captain , Jack Spillane,Richard Anglim, Cathal O’Mahony, Ryan Walsh, Darragh Hickey, Robert Hackett, Ciarian Moroney, Ben Coen .

14 B Final

Next on the program was the B contest between last years beaten finalists Cappawhite and a south amalgamation of Skeheenarinky /Newcastle. The scoring commenced immediately for Cappawhite with a point from William Armshaw within the opening thirty seconds. The south champions net was shaking on the second minute for Cappawhite opening goal from William Barry quickly followed by a point from Gearóid Ryan to put the west boys ahead 1-02.Brendan Murphy the Cappa centre half was enjoying the freedom of the pitch roaming everywhere at ease. He pointed on the sixth minute and was influential in lots of moves there after..Cappawhite dominance was very evident and their opponents could do little about it with their defence under constant pressure. By the twelfth minute Cappa had three more points with a free from David Murphy and William Barry and captain Robbie Quirke scoring from play to put their tally at 1-05.

Skeheenarinka/Newcastle’s opening addition to the score came on the fourteenth minute by way a of pointed free from their captain Jamie Grant. Their only other addition during the first period came in the twenty second minute with a pointed free from Josh Macken, while their opponents from the west had doubled their score to 2-10. David Murphy pointed a free and got two from play .Robbie Quirke pointed a .65 and added two from play while William Barry added a point and the games second goal coming from Gearóid Ryan to put the interval score at Cappawhite 2-10 Skeenarinka/Newcastle 0-02.

Similar to the opening game the second half of this encounter was dominated by the eventual champions..Cappawhite had another point by the first minute from a pointed David Murphy free. Captain Quirke added another to put Cappa at 2-12.On the eight minute Jamie Grant got his second point for the south boys and his teams third. However two attempts from .65s went amiss.. The game was over as a contest as Cappawhite could do as they wished and full credit to their south opponents as they never gave up despite the extreme pressure they were enduring in all sections of the park.Skeenarinka/Newcastlle got a goal on the mid way mark of the period courtesy of Padraig Casey however it was only for cosmetic purpose as Cappawhite had all but secured the title with fifteen minute remaining. They added a further 1-03 to put the final score reading Cappawhite 3-15 Skeenarinka/Newcastle 1-03 with the 1-01 coming from David Murphy, two points from Gearóid Ryan.

Chairman Joe Kennedy before presenting the cup to a joyful captain Robert Quirke thanked the Cashel club for having everything in such good condition and also acknowledged the referee and his officials of the two games that had taken place.

Cappawhite victorious panel; Ryan Renehan, Philip Gantley, Fionn Brady, Ciaran Doody, Patrick Brady, Brendan Murphy ( 0-01), Fraser Allen, Robbie Quirke Captain ( 0-04, .65 free), Colm O’Dwyer, Gearóid Ryan (1-02, 01free), Cian Ryan, William Armshaw (0-01), Diarmuid Duggan, David Murphy 1-04 ,03frees), William Barry 1-01), Dara McCarthy , Anthony Barry, Aaron Renehan, Jerry Hayes, Cian Allen,Geraóid Lennon, Anthony Barry.

14 A Final

The last game of the day was the 14 A final between Durlas Og and Arravale Rovers.

The west champions were first on the score board with a point within thirty seconds from Cormac Maher quickly followed by another Arravale point from Fergus Halligan. Durlas Og got in on the scoring to register three unanswered points to go one ahead -03 to 02 .Anthony Creedon opened their account from play and Aidan Butler converted two frees. Durlas Og got a grip on proceedings as regards the possession stakes with Anthony Conroy and Aidan Butler adding two more Durlas Og points to go -05 to 02 in front.

On the sixteenth minute Jack Lowry pointed for Arravale Rovers to reduce their defeict 05 to 03.Further joy came to the west supporters as Jack Lowry crashed in the opening goal of the game. From the resulting puck out Arravale gained possession and were awarded a free from the sideline which Jack Lowry dropped in and was connected on by Briam Lowry for Arravales second goal to put the west boys well ahead 2-03 to 0-05. Fergus Halligan added another west point to bring the Arravale tally to 2-04.

Liam Power had the mid followers rejoicing after scoring a goal for Durlas Og to put the score reading Arravale Rovers 2-04 Durlas Og 1-05.

Fergus Halligan added two more points for Arravale while Liam Power reduced Durlas Og deficit by a point to put the half time at 2-06 t0 1-06 in favour of the west men.

Upon the resumption Durlas Og were getting the better of the combats but failed to register on the score sheet. On the fourth minute Liam Power had the opening point for Durlas Og 2-06 to 1-07.Some wasted opportunities went before a second point was added to the Durlas Og tally coming on the eighth minute from captain Michael Russell. A minute later Aidan Butler added another from a free to level the score 2-06 to 1-09 for the second time in the game. Fergus Halligan put Arravale ahead with a pointed free but seconds later the sides were even a third time when Darren Fahey struck over a lovely point from play. 2-07 to 1-10.

Halligan once again to Arravales rescue with another pointed free and repeated this feat two more time to put Arravale in front 2-09 to 1-10. Durlas Og were attacking vigoursly but could not register their efforts onto the score board and in added time matters were well and truly sealed for Arravale Rovers when Michéal Sharpe scored Arravales third goal for a concluding score of Arravale Rovers 3-09 Durlas Og 1-10 bridging a sixteen year wait as the last won the title in 1987.

Before presenting the cup to winning captain Darren O’Dwyer chairman Joe Kennedy thanked both teams for an excellent display of hurling and commiserated with the mid champions going down in a great contest. He thanked all the referees, their officials and all involved at Cashel King Cormacs club.

Arravale Rovers victorious panel: Christopher Ryan, Jonathan Ryan, Nathan Murphy Crowe, Tadgh O’Connor, Conor Leahy, Conal Donovan, Jordan Doyle,Cormac Maher (01), Darren O’Dwyer,Matthew Moroney (01), Fergus Halligan (07 , 4 from frees), Michéal Sharpe (1-0),Briam Lowry(1-0), Jack Lowry(1-0), Jack Quinlan,Fionn McCall, Christopher Malone,Killian Noonan, Sean Smith, Jamie Lonergan,Timmy Esmonde. Mentors: Eddie Morrissey, Liam Doyle, Brendan Crowe.


Saturday September 14th

U14 Hurling County finals in Cashel

14A Arravale Rovers 3-09 Durlas Og 1-10

14B Cappawhite 3-15 v Skeheenarinky/Newcastle 1-03

14C Fethard 7-14 Solohead 0-02 Referee Kevin Jordan Thurles Gaels

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.