Search our Archive

North Tipperary & District League round-up

A round-up of all the action in the North Tipperary & District League this week.

A round-up of all the action in the North Tipperary & District League this week.

FAI Junior Cup: Thurles Town came through a penalty shootout against Waterford side Lismore AFC at Thurles Greyhound Stadium to secure their place in the last 64 of the FAI Junior Cup. Jamie O’Connor shot Thurles ahead on 26 minutes, however the visitors got back level before the break when Maurice Shanahan rattled the net with a headed goal. Lismore raced in to the lead in the 63rd minute when Kieran Hayes converted from the spot. The NT&DL outfit got back level after Robbie Jordan headed home with fifteen minutes remaining. Extra time failed to produce a winner so it was down to the penalty shootout to decide the outcome where Thurles progressed on a 3-2 score line and had their target men in Eoin Dorney, Jamie O’Connor and Robbie Jordan while Kieran Hayes and Brendan Landers converted for Lismore AFC. Thurles Town goalkeeper Davy Coppinger was the key man for Thurles with two superb saves in the shootout.

Borroway Rovers were no match for St Michaels in this floodlit FAI Junior Cup game played at Cooke Park on Saturday evening. The TSDL side had their scorers in James Walsh, Chris Higgins, Colin Bargary, Shane McGrath, Richard Ryan, Jimmy Carr, Pat Quinn, Russell Quirke and Michael Buckley while the Borroway Rovers lone reply came from Damien Grimes.

Premier Division League: Cloughjordan played host to Nenagh Celtic in this Premier League fixture played in Cloughjordan with the sides finishing level on a two all score line. Kevin Kennedy edged the home team ahead midway through the opening half with a well taken goal. Nenagh Celtic turned up the heat in the second period and took up a 2-1 lead with finishes from Christy Ryan and Enrico Casey. It looked as if the Hoops were going to grind out the away win, however Andy Brennan bagged a dramatic equalizer for Cloughjordan in the 90th minute.

Sallypark trekked to Templemore for this Premier League encounter against BT Harps and pounced for a late equalizer to earn an away point after a hard fought game. The visiting side were first to score when Tosh Manicle obliged on the ten minute mark. BT Harps took a 2-1 lead to break with goals from Chris Eid and Jack Moore. The second half was also a lively affair as David Young drew Sallypark level with a well worked goal. Aidan Fogarty edged the home side back in front, however Sallypark kept plugging and drew level again when David Young was on the mark for a second time, Sallypark might have snatched a later winner, however it finished level at the full time whistle.

Lough Derg took full points against Moneygall by the odd goal in three last Sunday. Moneygall had taken a one nil lead when Tadgh Kennedy scored from the spot, however the Lakers got back level courtesy of a Mates Veselka strike. Seamus Monaghan who turned in a man of the match performance for the home side grabbed the all-important goal with a thirty yard free kick which was enough to seal the win for Lough Derg.

Nenagh AFC made light work of their trip to Rearcross on Saturday evening emerging victorious over the home side on a six goals to nil score line with three goals coming either side of half time. Ryan Gilmartin opened the scoring with a goal from a free kick, Mark McKenna’s converted penalty doubled the tally and then Bryan McGee finished with a clinical header to leave Nenagh AFC in control at the break. Rearcross gifted the visitors with two own goals before Roy Creagh completed the rout late on for the League leaders.

First Division League: Nenagh AFC ‘B’ were 3-1 winners over Arra Rovers in Islandbawn last Sunday morning. The Blues scored three on trot through Jahar Singh, Oísin Fitzpatrick and Trevor Morrissey before John Sheehy scored a consolation goal for the Portroe side with a well taken free kick ten minutes from time.

The winning ways continued for Roscrea United ‘A’ following a 3-1 result over Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ in Nenagh last Sunday, however the league leaders didn’t get it all their own way after taking an early lead when David McNamara broke the offside trap to finish between the posts. Paul Kirwan doubled the Roscrea tally midway through the half, however the Hoops got on top after this and pegged it back to the minimum before the break thanks to a Robbie Fogarty goal. Nenagh Celtic dominated for long spells in the second period and were unlucky not to get it back level, however Roscrea sprung the changes from the bench and copper fastened the win on the 80 minute mark when John Pio found the target. Clonmore claimed the plaudits over Kilcommon on a three goals to one score line. The open exchanges were evenly shared, however Tommy Fahy headed Clonmore in front on 27 minutes. Tom Keane netted an equalizer for the visitors just before the break with a superb finish from a Leo Ryan assist. Kilcommon piled on the pressure after the resumption as Stephen Coonan denied the away side with a goal line clearance. Tommy Fahy edged Clonmore ahead with another headed goal and Tommy Fahy rounded off his hat-trick later.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.