FAI Junior Cup wins for Clonmel Celtic and Clonmel Town but Old Bridge lose out on penalties

FAI Junior Cup wins for Clonmel Celtic and Clonmel Town but Old Bridge lose out on penalties

Seanie O'Hara was a key playmaker for Clonmel Celtic.


Clonmel Celtic and Thurles Town, the current leaders of the North and South Tipperary Leagues, served up an exciting game on Sunday in Clonmel, with the Southern high fliers just doing enough to advance to Round 5 of the FAI Junior Cup on a single goal scoreline, 1-0. 

The home side made the perfect start with Kevin Waters heading home a delightful Evan McGuire cross after just two minutes. They nearly doubled the lead minutes later but Johnny Cagney fired over from close range. 

Thurles finally settled into the game enjoying some possession without really threatening the well organised Celtic rear-guard and it was the hosts who looked most likely to get the second goal of the game, but Seanie O'Hara just failed to get on the end of an Evan McGuire centre shortly before the break.

 The visitors started the second half looking like a side that meant business and their full back stung the hands of Brian Sweeney with a fierce drive. They continued to look dangerous pushing Celtic further back and Brian Sweeney again came to Celtic's rescue getting down low to deny former Clonmel Town striker Barry Ryan. 

After weathering this pressure, the home side began creating chances of their own and on sixty three minutes a Cian O'Sullivan effort was pushed away by the visiting keeper when it looked destined for the net. 

With the Northern team committed to pushing players forward in search of an equaliser, the hosts were looking increasingly dangerous on the break and Seanie O'Hara was nearly in again with twenty minutes left only to see his effort deflected wide. It was end to end at this stage with both sides carving out half chances, but in the finish the Clonmel side didn't need the second as a resolute defence ensured the early goal was enough to send them into the open draw stage of the FAI Junior Cup.

Clonmel Town 5 Moneygall 0

Clonmel Town qualified for the Open Draw section of the FAI Junior Cup on Sunday afternoon thanks to a five goals to nil win over NTDL side Moneygall FC at The Complex in Clonmel.

 They were at the visitors right from the kick off and took the advantage very early on when Keith Cashman gave then the lead in the 3rd minute after he got the end of a Cillian Crowe pull back to smash home.

 The hosts then doubled their lead in the twenty third minute when Jamie Ahearne’s initial shot was blocked, only for Stephen Kelly to tap home the rebound for the easiest of finishes. Keith Browne made it three just after the half hour mark when he converted a Cillian Crowe corner and gave his side a very comfortable three goal to nil lead at the halfway mark. 

The home side killed off the game nine minutes into the second period after Crowe again turned provider for Ahearne to poke home. Keith Browne doubled his tally for the day when he dispatched from the penalty spot for Town’s fifth and final goal after Cillian Crowe, was upended in the box just before the finish.


Old Bridge 1  

Galbally United 1

 (AET Galbally United win 4-3 on penalties)

Old Bridge continued their topsy turvy season when they were unable to build upon the excellent league result last weekend, and found themselves knocked out of this year’s FAI Cup to First Division Galbally United, who themselves seemed to have steadied a very rocky early season start. 

The first half was a relatively benign affair with the visitors having an excellent chance to open the scoring in the first five minutes, only to see a goal line clearance deny them. The home side's best chance came ten minutes later when a great save by the keeper denied Aaron Arrigan, but that was the height of the highlights before the teams went to the half time teas.

 The second period was slightly better as the game began to open up and they traded chances in the third quarter of the game, but again without making an impression on the scoreboard.

 The deadlock was finally broken thirteen minutes from time when what looked like an innocuous cross into the Bridge area was headed home by Bernard O'Brien to put the visitors in front. 

And like busses, after waiting so long for one, the second came less than three minutes later, when Arrigan found himself unmarked in the Galbally area to level the tie. 

Both teams then have chances to win the game in normal time but were unable to do so, and as the heavy ground began to take its toll on the tired legs, the teams traded ever less dangerous punches before finishing extra time without any further goals. 

With there having to be a result on the day, the game was finally decided by spot kicks and in this the visiting team showed the icier nerve to finally progress on a four goal to three outcome.