St. Michael's warm up for FAI Junior Cup semi-final with derby win over Tipp Town

St. Michael's warm up for FAI Junior Cup semi-final with derby win over Tipp Town

Jimmy Carr among the goals for St. Michael's.

St. Michael’s took the honours in the Tipperary derby to make it eight straight wins in the Premier League and warmed up for next week’s FAI Cup semi-final with North End United, with a very good run out at the Arra Road against their local rivals Tipperary Town, winning 3-0.

The visitors took the lead in the sixth minute when John O'Brien won a corner on the left and Jimmy Carr's delivery saw Jonathan Kennedy rise to head home.

Two minutes later a long clearance from John O'Brien saw Jimmy Carr in on goal but he blazed over the bar from six yards, as the Saints looked like running their opponents ragged.

But despite this the home side settled and were able to make some chances of their own in the rest of the half without unduly troubling the visiting keeper.

The second half continued in much the same vein as the first with Michael’s dominating possession and looking to add to their tally, and they did so in the fifty third minute when a through ball played in Carr and he rolled the ball over the line from six yards.

The hosts looked to have got a lifeline on the hour mark when Derek Breen was adjudged to have fouled Mark Roche but the resultant spot kick saw Vinny Godfrey blast over the bar.

And after that, the reigning champions assured themselves of the points twelve minutes from time when a Jimmy Carr cross saw a goalmouth scramble which Shane Ryan forced over the line.

Unfortunately Town goalkeeper Timmy Dalton was injured as a result and the game was held up for a considerable while. Brian Nugent replaced Dalton in the goal and he kept a clean sheet from then until the end.

In the end it was a routine win for the visitors, while the home side will be happy enough that they have already done enough this year to make sure they will have two more derbies to contest next season.

The final point of note in the game was the well observed minute’s applause for the passing of the much loved and respected Rachel Kenneally before the game, by everyone who attended.