Next up for the resurgent Tipperary minor footballers is a clash with Waterford

Sports Reporter


Sports Reporter


Next up for the resurgent Tipperary minor footballers is a clash with Waterford

The Tipperary minor football team pictured during the national anthem before their meeting with Kerry at Semple Stadium, Thurles last week. Photo: Eamonn McGee

In their opening game in this year's Munster championship the Tipperary minor football team lost to Kerry (0-4 to 1-15) at Semple Stadium, but Matt O'Doherty's resurgent men regrouped from that defeat and beat Limerick after extra-time (2-12 to 1-11) in Newcastle West on Wednesday, April 18th. Now the Tipperary minor footballers prepare for another play-off against Waterford on Wednesday, April 25th in Leamybrien with a place in the semi-finals against Clare up for grabs.

Although Limerick led 1-4 to 1-3 ahead at half-time Tipperary fought back to earn a draw and dominated thereafter when restricting the Shannonsiders to a single point during extra-time.

Limerick raced from the blocks and were 0-4 to 0-1 ahead inside ten minutes. Tipperary’s Kyle Shelly did open the scoring, but the visitors to west Limerick had three early wides and five by half time.

Dylan Moloney (two frees) and Eoin Murphy (two from play) had the early Limerick scores in a half in which there was only one wide for the teenagers in green.

After building the early lead Limerick went 15 minutes without a score and Tipperary went ahead.

The Tipperary goal came in the 14th minute when Tim Lyons fouled Christy English and Kyle Shelly found the net from the penalty spot (1-2 to 0-4).

The next score was ten minutes later and it was another penalty - Patrick Gallagher fouled and up stepped Dylan Moloney to confidently find the net.

English had the final say of the half to leave Limerick ahead by a single point at the break.

The interval lead was ensured when Kevin Walsh did well in the Limerick goal to save from Shelly in the final moments of the half and Luke Gammell was on hand to take the ball off the goal-line.

Tipperary were a changed outfit from the off in the second half and were 2-6 to 1-6 ahead after eight minutes of play.

Their second goal came from Shelly again - in the eighth minute, after points from Devon Ryan and two frees.

Limerick had now just one score (penalty) in 30 minutes of play. Finally, the barren spell was ended by a Moloney free 13 minutes into the half.

John Hayes added a point from play to leave a goal between the teams entering the final quarter.

Sean O’Connor (free) interrupted the Limerick comeback, but Moloney kicked another two frees for the home side and it was 1-8 to 2-7 with nine minutes to play.

Limerick lost captain John Hayes to a second yellow card in the final minute, but Kevin Guinea (free) cut the lead to a single point in the first of five minutes of signalled injury time.

Up popped sub Keith O’Kelly to force extra-time with a big score from distance. The final four points fell to Limerick with Tipperary failing to score during in the final quarter.

Luke Gleeson had the only Limerick score in the first period of extra time and looked to have given the interval lead to the home side until two late points from Tipperary - Kyle Shelly and Christy English (free) - to leave it Limerick 1-11 Tipperary 2-9.

Limerick failed to score in the second half of extra time as Tipperary dominated. They had two early points and Limerick couldn’t respond.


Limerick: Kevin Walsh; Michael O’Hanrahan, Tim Lyons, Shane Bradshaw; Darragh O’Keeffe, Craig Carew, Luke Gammell; James Molyneaux, John Hayes (0-1); Brian Foley, Dylan Moloney (1-5, 0-5 frees, 1-0 penalty), Darren Kearns; Paul O’Shaughnessy, Eoin Murphy (0-2), Patrick Gallagher. Subs: Keith O’Kelly (0-1) for Patrick Gallagher (41 mins), Luke Scannell for Darragh O’Keeffe (46 mins), Luke Gleeson (0-1) for Brian Foley (48 mins), Kevin Guinea (0-1, 0-1 free) for Luke Gammell (49 mins), Ruadhan O’Connor for Dylan Moloney (54 mins), Andrew McMahon for John Hayes, (et), Luke Gammell for James Molyneaux (4 mins, et), Ryan O’Connell for Craig Carew (14 mins, et), Dylan Moloney for Eoin Murphy (16 mins, et).

Tipperary: Callan Scully (Nenagh Éire Óg); Tommy McDonagh (Cahir), Shane Lowe (Moyne-Templetuohy), Christy McDonagh (Cahir); Mark O'Meara (Grangemockler-Ballyneale, 0-1, 0-1 free), Gavin Meagher (Inane Rovers), Johnny Ryan (Arravale Rovers); Billy Murphy (Kilsheelan-Kilcash), Keith Ryan (Upperchurch-Drombane); Eddie Daly (Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams), Devon Ryan (Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams, 0-1), Kevin Hayes (Moycarkey-Borris); Kyle Shelly (Moycarkey-Borris, 2-3, 1-0 penalty), Christy English (Ballyporeen, 0-4, 0-2 frees), Max Hackett (Moycarkey-Borris). Subs: Sean O’Connor (Clonmel Commercials, 0-2, 0-2 frees) for Max Hackett (ht), Rhys Byron (Galtee Rovers) for Billy Murphy (ht), Conor Whelan (Mullinahone) for Keith Ryan, (black card 43 mins), John O’Sullivan (Galtee Rovers) for Gavin Meagher (57 mins), Jamie Holloway (Carrick Swans, 0-1) for Eddie Daly (58 mins), Alan Flannery (Galtee Rovers) for Devon Ryan (61 mins), Max Hackett (Moycarkey-Borris) for Mark O’Meara (13 mins, et), Devon Ryan (Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams) for Christy English (14 mins, et), Donagh Hickey (Arravale Rovers) for Kyle Shelly (20 mins, et).

Referee: John Ryan (Cork).


To keep up to date with all the sporting news in Tipperary please click here - to follow the Tipperary Star sports team on twitter please click here - to follow sports editor Brian McDonnell on Twitter please click here. Alternatively, you can also like the Tipperary Star on Facebook.