Kilruane collect North Tipperary minor B hurling title thanks to a late, late charge

Brian McDonnell


Brian McDonnell


Kilruane collect North Tipperary minor B hurling title thanks to a late, late charge

The Kilruane MacDonagh’s recovered a late two-point deficit to beat Silvermines by the very minimum in the final of the Ger Gavin North Tipperary Minor B Hurling Championship played at MacDonagh Park, Nenagh on Sunday afternoon. Indeed, the ‘Mines appeared to have dug the foundation of this win when finishing the opening half on level terms despite having faced the wind. Silvermines then carved out a two-point lead entering second half injury time, but Kilruane, inspired by man of the match Seán McAdams, belted over three late efforts to seal a memorable win for the MacDonagh’s.

Ger Gavin North Tipperary
Minor B Hurling Championship Final
Kilruane MacDonagh’s 0-12 Silvermines 0-11


Efforts from Kian O’Kelly and Devlin Courtney helped Kilruane into an early lead before O’Kelly enjoyed two goal-scoring efforts of note during the tenth minute - Silvermines ‘keeper Conor Murphy saved the first while the second found the side netting.

Oisín Murphy, who appears a highly-accomplished stick man, got the ‘Mines off the mark in the 11th minute while Murphy demanded a fine reaction save from Kilruane’s Kevin McDonald in the 13th.

In the 20th minute an Oisín Murphy free tied the game before a Seán McAdams placed ball edged Kilruane back into a narrow lead (0-3 to 0-2) in the 23rd. Within a minute Oisín Murphy (free) levelled matters while the opening half came to a conclusion with Devlin Courtney and Oisín Murphy trading eye-catching efforts (0-4 apiece).

Two minutes into first half injury time Kilruane’s David O’Sullivan appeared to be fouled for a penalty, but play was waved on by referee Alan Tierney.


Considering the strength of the breeze you really had to fancy the ‘Mines at this juncture. And, Silvermines took the lead two minutes into the second half when Oisín Murphy converted a free.

Kilruane, however, were not prepared to lie down and subsequently landed the next three scores in succession - Seán McAdams drilled over two long-range frees and when David O’Sullivan added a point from play the MacDonagh’s led 0-7 to 0-5.

The sides traded points thereafter and Kilruane maintained their two-point advantage; that is until a brilliant Oisín Murphy effort from play in the 50th minute closed the gap to one. Murphy then worked a free short into the hand of Seán Spillane in the 53rd minute and the midfielder tied the game (0-9 apiece).

Seconds later Darragh McKelvey landed a monstrous long-range free and the ‘Mines enjoyed a one-point lead.

Kilruane, however, refused to yield and were left ruing their misfortune in the 55th minute when Seán McAdams’ penalty flew narrowly wide following a foul on Kian O’Kelly.

An Aaron Ryan point forced Silvermines two clear with the hour played, but Kilruane were far from finished. The equalising points arrived courtesy of Seán McAdams and Páidí Williams (long-range free) before Devlin Courtney fired over the winner in the 66th minute - another Williams strike from distance found the hand of Kian O’Kelly; O’Kelly picked out Courtney and the corner-forward’s third point from play proved a precious one.


Kilruane MacDonagh’s: Kevin McDonald, Louis Kennedy, Páidí Williams (0-1, 0-1 frees), Aaron Morgan, Níosa Minogue, Mark O’Neill, Owen Usman, Shane McAteer, Seán McAdams (captain, 0-6, 0-4 frees, 0-1 ‘65s), Mathew Spain, David O’Sullivan (0-1), Kian O’Kelly (0-1), Devlin Courtney (0-3), Eoin England, Patrick Hayes. Subs: (HT) James Loughnane for Patrick Hayes, (50th) Fionnan Minogue for Shane McAteer, (58th) Colm Cleary for Eoin England.

Silvermines: Conor Murphy, Darragh Cleere, Paul Slattery, Kevin Hayden, Jack Keays, Darragh McKelvey (0-1, 0-1 frees), Cathal McGrath, Darragh Nolan, Seán Spillane (0-1), Conor McKelvey, Oisín Murphy (0-8, 0-5 frees), Ciarán Timmons, Aaron Ryan (0-1), Ronan Clifford, Michael Corcoran. Subs: (35th) Cathal Delaney for Darragh Nolan, (58th) Darragh Nolan for Ciarán Timmons.

Referee: Alan Tierney (Shannon Rovers).


To keep up to date with all the sporting news in Tipperary please click here - to follow the Tipperary Star sports team on twitter please click here - to follow sports editor Brian McDonnell on Twitter please click here. Alternatively, you can also like the Tipperary Star on Facebook.