Moyle Rovers through to County SFC semi-final with deserved win over Killenaule

Michael Heverin


Michael Heverin

Moyle Rovers through to County SFC semi-final with deserved win over Killenaule

Peter Acheson was back in the Moyle Rovers colours for the win over Killenaule.











Moyle Rovers recovered from a rocky start to finally get the better of Killenaule in the County SFC quarter final at New Inn tonight, winning 3-13 to 1-9.

Two first half goals from a Liam Boland penalty and an injury time score from Sean Carey set them on their way and a third from Paddy Morrissey two minutes into the second half sealed the semi-final berth.

But Rovers weren't flawless and have work to do before they think about titles.

But in players such as Liam Boland, Sean Carey and Shane Foley they have players to get the crucial scores with Alan Campbell, Ross Mulcahy and David McGrath solid at the back.

But it was Killenaule who started brighter and were well worth their 1-4 to 0-2 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Boland from a free and Foley, to a Michael Doyle opener for Killenaule, had Rovers in front before Daniel Guinan pounced for a goal after sloppy Rovers defending. They followed up with points from Michael Doyle, Paudie Feehan and a Tony Doyle free to go five up.

But when it looked like they might increase their lead, Rovers broke and were awarded a penalty for a Jimmy Feehan infringement in the square and Boland slammed home the spot kick. Within minutes Rovers had drawn level with points from Carey and Boland.

Back came Killenaule to pull two clear again through Tony Doyle and a monster effort from Bubbles O'Dwyer as Killenaule took the game to Rovers.

Boland after an intercept reduced the lead and as the game entered injury time, Rovers cut open the Killenaule defence and Carey finished a great move with a cracking goal to leave it 2-5 to 1-6 at the break.

And the Powerstown-Lisronagh side came out for the second half in similar vein and when Danny Owens and Liam Boland set up Paddy Morrissey for a shot on goal, the first attempt was blocked but Morrissey followed up to palm to the net. A Boland point within a minute put six between the sides, 3-6 to 1-6 and Killenaule could never recover, adding just three second half points over the half hour and just one from play.

Moyle Rovers now played with a certain abandon as they ran at the Killenaule defence at every opportunity. With the result never in doubt throughout the second half, the game provided them with shooting practise with some fine scores taken.

The early promise of Killenaule, who were missing Kieran Bergin, had faded but they never slackened their effort with Bubbles pushing on his team mates to the end. Goalie Matthew O'Donnell set up many moves with breakouts from his goal area, with Paddy Codd, Jimmy Feehan and Michael and Tony Doyle putting in big shifts.

Rovers will be happy to have got over the challenge and can look to the non stop running of Sean Carey, the brilliant point scoring of Liam Boland and fine displays from Shane Foley, David McGrath and Alan Campbell to see them over the line. Peter Acheson also looked lively on his return from Dubai and will only improve with further games.

In a sporting encounter, there was the unusual occurrence of two subs receiving black cards within minutes of their arrival on the pitch – Jack Harney for Moyle Rovers and Eoin Barry for Killenaule