Cashel return to Tipperary’s senior hurling ranks thanks to 13-point intermediate semi-final win

Brian McDonnell


Brian McDonnell


Cashel return Tipperary’s senior hurling ranks thanks to 13-point intermediate semi-final win

Cashel King Cormacs secured their place in the senior ranks for the first time since 2014 when the side coached by Conor Gleeson (Boherlahan-Dualla) saw off the challenge of Borrisokane with thirteen points to spare in the semi-finals of the Tipperary Water County Intermediate Hurling Championship at Dolla on Saturday afternoon (both intermediate finalists are promoted to Roinn II of the county senior hurling championship).

Tipperary Water County Intermediate
Hurling Championship Semi-Final
Cashel King Cormacs 3-15
Borrisokane 1-8

Late in the first half Borrisokane, who had played with the wind during the opening period, led 1-6 to 0-6 when Cashel corner-forward Ross Bonnar cracked home two terrific goals. Then, following nine scoreless minutes post interval, the misfortunate Borrisokane ‘keeper Enda Brennan spilled a Conn Bonnar effort which dropped short and Cashel led by six (3-6 to 1-6). Borrisokane only managed to add two points to their tally thereafter while Cashel King Cormacs surged into the decider off the back of some terrific individual displays, most notably from Eoghan Connolly who was the outstanding candidate for the man of the match award.

This Cashel King Cormacs team is coached by Conor Gleeson (Boherlahan-Dualla); Ronan O’Donoghue, Brendan Bonnar and David Enright are the selectors with the side while Alan O’Connor (Cahir) is a key influence on the team (strength and conditioning coach).

The second Tipperary Water County Intermediate Hurling Championship semi-final takes place on Sunday, September 30th between Shannon Rovers and Thurles Sarsfields in Borrisoleigh at 12 noon. The final is scheduled to take place on the week-ending Sunday, October 14th.


Borrisokane got off to an encouraging start in the seventh minute when Colm Larkin’s delivery bounced awkwardly and deceived Owen Quirke in the Cashel goal. Larkin added a point to his side’s tally soon after when Borrisokane recycled the ball smartly out of the left corner-forward position.

Four Eoghan Connolly points (three frees) got Cashel off the mark, but these efforts were matched by Borrisokane scores which arrived courtesy of Colm Larkin (two frees), Philip Austin and Jack Larkin - despite fielding without the talented Shane Dooley (injured) the North champions led 1-5 to 0-4 with twenty-two minutes played.

Cashel, who operated for the majority of the opening half with a sweeper (Michael Coleman), responded through Adrian Cummins and Eoghan Connolly (free) before Peter McSherry’s long-range effort left three between the sides (1-6 to 0-6) in the 29th minute.

Vincent McKenna’s men had hurled reasonably well and deserved to enjoy a more significant advantage, but Borrisokane were left cursing their misfortune when they coughed two goals in first half injury time.

Simon Delaney set up Ross Bonnar for a smart close-range finish and then Ross Bonnar belted an absolute beauty off his left hand into the top right hand corner to present his side with a three-point interval lead (2-6 to 1-6).


During the opening eleven minutes of the second half Cashel added 1-2 to their tally and Borrisokane found themselves cut horribly adrift (3-8 to 1-6).

Dylan Power managed a response for Borrisokane in the 43rd minute while Gary Ryan steered a goal chance narrowly wide in the 44th.

Unperturbed Cashel King Cormacs, who were growing in confidence by the minute, added six consecutive points to their tally. Conn Bonnar converted two close-range frees before efforts from Patrick Fahy, Eoghan Connolly, Simon Delaney and Conn Bonnar left thirteen between them with fifty-five minutes played (3-14 to 1-7).

Eoghan Connolly’s point in the 47th minute was especially eye-catching - the Tipperary under-21 star grabbed a Borrisokane puck-out, strode forward and then landed a mighty effort off his right on the run.

Frustration got the better of Gary Ryan in the 57th minute when the Borrisokane man was shown a straight red card following an off-the-ball incident while Michael Kelly and Conn Bonnar enjoyed the final say in the matter from a scoring point of view.


Cashel King Cormacs: Owen Quirke, Tony Hewitt, Cormac Ryan, John Darmody, James Cummins, Lee Burke, Ciarán Quinn, Michael Coleman, Eoghan Connolly (0-7, 0-5 frees), Brendan Kelly (0-1), Simon Delaney (0-1), Patrick Fahy (0-1), Adrian Cummins (0-1), Conn Bonnar (1-4, 0-2 frees), Ross Bonnar (2-0). Subs: (33rd) Patrick Muldoon for Tony Hewitt, (35th) Dylan Fitzell for Adrian Cummins, (58th) Murragh McDermott for Ross Bonnar.

Borrisokane: Enda Brennan, Eddie O’Dwyer, Cathal Dooley, Conor Forde, Seosamh Cleary, Shane Nevin, Brian Davis, Liam Cleary, Peter McSherry (0-1), Mike Heenan, Philip Austin (0-1), Gary Ryan, Jack Larkin (0-1), Colm Larkin (1-3, 0-2 frees), Liam Dooley. Subs: (35th) Dylan Power (0-1) for Liam Dooley, (39th) Michael Kelly (0-1) for Mike Heenan, (49th) Stephen Gavin for Seosamh Cleary, (60th) Conor Gavin for Conor Forde, (62nd) Rob Davis for Peter McSherry.

Referee: Noel Cosgrove (Marlfield).


To keep up to date with all the sporting news in Tipperary please click here - to follow the Tipperary Star sports team on twitter please click here - to follow sports editor Brian McDonnell on Twitter please click here. Alternatively, you can also like the Tipperary Star on Facebook.