Cappawhite Gaels roar into Tipperary county minor A hurling final thanks to 14-point win

Sports Reporter


Sports Reporter


Cappawhite Gaels roar into Tipperary county minor A hurling final thanks to 14-point win

The second of the county minor A hurling championship semi-finals was played in Golden on Saturday when Cappawhite Gaels roared into the final thanks to a fourteen-point win over Clonmel Óg-Skeheenarinky.

Tipperary Water County Minor A
Hurling Championship Semi-Final
Cappawhite Gaels 1-28
Clonmel Óg-Skeheenarinky 2-11

Referee Gerry Treacy threw in the sliotar at 3.45pm and within seconds of the start Cappawhite's chief marksman Willie Barry got off the mark with a free from about fifty metres. The opening exchanges were lively with both teams contesting every ball.

Tomás Vaughan had the South combo level within a minute when hitting a free of his own and on three minutes Dean Finn scored from play. Willie Barry then scored two points in thirty seconds as Cappawhite led by three points to two after five minutes. Vaughan scored another free before Colm O’Dwyer scored the first of his foru opening half points.

On eight minutes Darragh Brennan scored the game's opening goal after some good play out the field. This would be their last score for ten minutes as Cappawhite scored four in-a-row through Willie Barry and Gearoid Ryan to lead 0-8 to 1-3 after eighteen minutes. Vaughan then scored from play and one from a free to level the game in the 21st minute.

This was their best spell of the game as in the ten minutes before half-time Cappawhite completely took over and out-scored their opponents eight points to two to lead 0-17 to 1-7 at the break.


The second half started with a mini comeback by the South reps with Tomás Vaughan scoring two pointed frees to bring the lead down to five.

Vaughan was now operating on the edge of the square, but was getting no change from full-back Philip Gantley and started to roam back out the field.

Cappawhite stuck to the task at hand and rattled off six unanswered points to lead by twelve before Vaughan scored a goal against the run of play.

Straight from the puck-out Dara McCarthy scored a good point when soloing in from the right and shooting over.

A Vaughan free brought the deficit back to eight, but points from Willie Barry and substitute Aaron Ryan before a well-taken Mikey Carmody goal finished the game as a contest as Cappawhite led by thirteen with seven minutes to play.

Cappawhite scored two more points through Willie Barry and Gearoid Ryan and ran out comfortable winners in the end.


Cappawhite had good performances throughout, but two players in particular stood head and shoulders above all - Willie Barry scoring sixteen points and Colm O’Dwyer with five points from play. Tomás Vaughan played well for the South combo and finished the day with 1-7 to his name.


Cappawhite Gaels: Anthony Barry, Patrick Barry, Philip Gantley, Seamus Burns, Gearoid Ryan (0-2), Ryan Renehan, Mikey O’Brien, Cian Ryan, Colm O’Dwyer (0-5), William Barry (0-16, 0-8 frees, 0-1 sideline), Ciarán Doody, Gearoid Lennon, Dara McCarthy (0-1), Fionn Brady (0-1), Fraser Allen (0-2). Subs: Aaron Ryan (0-1) for Gearoid Lennon, Mikey Carmody (1-0) for Fionn Brady, Cian Murray for Fraser Allen, Daniel Clancy for Dara McCarthy, Ben White for Seamus Burns.

Skeheenarinky-Clonmel Óg: Jack Downey, Conor Anderson, Shane O’Connor, Derry Phelan, Kevin Hawkins, Kevin O’Mahony, Christy English (0-1), Dean Finn (0-2, 0-1 free), Cathal McGuigan, Cian O’Sullivan, Tomás Vaughan (1-7, 0-6 frees), Darragh Brennan (1-0), Tommy Hickey, Jamie Doyle, Rian Hennessy. Subs: TJ Quigley, John Donal O’Brien, Ayo Williams Jack Guinan, Cathal Mcloughlin.

Referee: Gerry Treacy (Borris-Ileigh).