Peake Villa win Youths Cup for the first time

A goal by ‘super-sub’ Casper Wysocki in the final minutes saw Peake Villa lift the TSDL Division 2 Youth Cup for the first time in their history after overcoming Mid Tipp neighbours Two Mile Borris in this local derby played in glorious sunshine at the Tower Grounds, Thurles last Saturday.

Peake Villa, who haven’t won a trophy at U18 level since 2003 faced newly crowned Youth League Division 2 champions Two Mile Borris chasing the League and Cup ‘double’. Villa enjoyed the early exchanges with Stephen Cahill firing over after being set-up by Jack O’Connell. Borris, who looked dangerous on the counter-attack, best chance came from free-kicks that were taken by John O’Connor, one was headed over the bar by Daniel Rafter and Jamie Meaney shot wide from another one.

On the half hour mark Villa’s Jack Lineen produced a well timed tackle on Daniel Rafter, whilst at the other end John O’Connor managed to clear a dangerous centre by Stephen Cahill. Villa’s net-minder Stephen Ryan’s only action of the first half came after 35 minutes when he did well to smother the ball at the feet of Ashley Laslett after a mix-up. Two Mile Borris should have taken the lead five minutes before the break when Paul Webster found David Slattery unmarked 12 yards from goal, but dragged the ball wide of the target. Borris had a let-off when Sean Wade’s shot was half-blocked by Jamie Meaney but John Hickey got back to clear off the goal-line as the opening half came to a close.

The second-half started with Two Mile Borris on top and Villa’s keeper Stephen Ryan did well to take under pressure from a Jamie Meaney centre and minutes later team-mate Jack Lineen managed to head clear a Jamie O’Connor centre. On 55 minutes Villa’s Jack Lineen was booked for a miss-timed tackle on David Slattery and the 25 yard free-kick by John O’Connor clipped the top of the crossbar. After that Peake Villa got the upper hand producing a series of set-pieces, the nearest was a 20 yards thunder-bolt from Peake Villa’s skipper Kevin Dunne that stung the hands of Borris ‘keeper Niall Murphy who quickly recovered to save from Sean Wade following up the rebound.

With the game swinging like a pendulum from one end of the pitch to the other it was Two Mile Borris that saw a free-kick by John O’Connor being cleared by Jack O’Connell just as Jamie O’Connor was about to pounce. On 75 minutes it looked like Borris had snatched victory when a shot from 20 yards by Daniel Rafter looked to be heading towards the back of the net but a superb full length diving save by Stephen Ryan managed push the ball it away to safety. It was five minutes later that Peake Villa snatched the winner. Casper Wysocki, who was on the field less than five minutes chased what looked a lost cause by winning a ball from a defender that could have he cleared, and kept his composure firing home from the edge of the six-yard box. Over the final ten minutes there were a couple of heart-stopping moments for Villa the most dangerous near the end when a player attempting to clear a Jamie O’Connor corner-kick headed it onto his own crossbar only to rebound and was eventually cleared to the relief and delight of Peake Villa players, mentors and supporters.

Peake Villa: Stephen Ryan, Jack O’Connell, Jonas Braum, Shane Dunne, Jack Lineen, Stephen Cahill, Sean Wade, Kevin Slattery, Kevin Dunne, Shane McCormack, Seamus Healy.

Substitutes: Cillian Cooke [Braum 50’], Casper Wysocki [Healy 75’], Aidan Ryan [McCormack 80’], Sean Murphy, Brian Bourke

Two Mile Borris: Niall Murphy, Gavin Fitzpatrick, Jamie Meaney, John Hickey, John O’Connor, Pierce Cleary, Paul Webster, David Slattery, Daniel Rafter, Ashley Laslett, Jamie O’Connor

Substitutes: James Hanley [Webster 80’], Timmy Dunne [Cleary 85’], John Fogarty, Stephen Lyons, Liam Lanigan

Officials: P. Dolan, M. Coady, N. Coughlan.