Carrick-on-Suir Mart closed until further notice in wake of extensive fire 

Aileen Hahesy


Aileen Hahesy

The fire at Carrick-on-Suir Mart last night. Photo by Anne Marie Magorrian.

Carrick-on-Suir Livestock Mart is closed until further notice following a fire that caused extensive damage to the premises last night. 

 It took fire fighters four hours to put under control the blaze at the John Street based mart that erupted around 7pm. 

The 63 year-old mart's owners believe the fire was caused by an electrical fault. No one was injured in the fire and there were no animals on the premises at the time. 

John Curran, one of Carrick Mart's directors, said they were devastated at the damage caused to the mart but thanked the fire fighters of Tipperary Fire Service for their efforts in getting the blaze under control and in saving vital computer equipment and files from the offices.