Dr Harty Cup: Our Lady’s Templemore suffer a 12-point defeat at the hands of Hospital

Brian McDonnell


Brian McDonnell



Dr Harty Cup: Our Lady’s Templemore suffer a 12-point defeat at the hands of Hospital

Our Lady’s Templemore suffered a twelve-point defeat at the hands of John The Baptist Community School (Hospital, Limerick) in the opening round of the 2018-19 Dr Harty Cup (Munster Under-19A Post-Primary Schools Hurling Championship) at MacDonagh Park, Nenagh on Wednesday, October 17th.

Dr Harty Cup First Round - Munster Under-19A
Post-Primary Schools Hurling Championship
John The Baptist Community School, Hospital 2-22
Our Lady’s Templemore 1-13

Templemore were out-classed on this occasion when Hospital’s Brian O’Grady wreaked havoc and Our Lady’s struggled to negotiate their way around the opposition sweeper.

This season the tournament features a group stage with the winning team and the runners-up in each respective group progressing to the seeded quarter-finals. Our Lady’s compete in group C alongside Blackwater Community School (Waterford) and Hospital meaning that the Templemore lads must now beat Blackwater on Wednesday, November 7th.

Also on Wednesday, October 17th Nenagh CBS suffered a heavy defeat against St Colman’s Fermoy (1-11 to 3-18). Nenagh CBS have been drawn in group A alongside Árdscoil Rís (Limerick), St Colman’s Fermoy (Cork) and Gaelcholáiste Mhuire (Cork). Nenagh CBS still enjoy an opportunity to turn their season around when they face Árdscoil Rís on Wednesday, November 7th and Gaelcholáiste Mhuire on Wednesday, November 21st.

Meanwhile Thurles CBS feature in group D alongside Christian Brothers College (Cork) and Castletroy College (Limerick). Thurles CBS will launch their campaign against Castletroy College on Wednesday, November 7th while on Wednesday, November 21st they will face Christian Brothers College.

Thurles CBS have won eight Dr Harty Cup titles with their last Munster crown materializing in 2015. Our Lady's Templemore have won the title twice and collected the cup famously in 2017 while Nenagh CBS have appeared in four finals, but, unfortunately, lost them all. Limerick’s Árdscoil Rís are the defending champions and have won five of the last nine provincial titles.


Our Lady’s Templemore started this contest on a reasonably solid footing and led 1-2 to 0-3 after seven minutes thanks to a Dean Lawlor goal which James Devaney did especially well to set up. Hospital, however, responded with a goal of their own (thanks to Ryan Tobin) and the sides were locked on 1-4 apiece after the opening quarter.

A Dylan O’Shea free preceded Hospital’s second three-pointer in the 18th minute which arrived courtesy of O’Shea after the full-forward intercepted a stray hand pass in the heart of the Templemore defence (1-4 to 2-5).

During the remaining minutes of the opening half Our Lady’s did manage to add three points to their tally (Conor Ryan scored two and James Devaney converted a free), but Hospital were starting to dominate the physical contest for the ball and led 2-8 to 1-7 at the break. Templemore, however, did enjoy a significant sight of goal in the second minute of first half injury time when Dean Lawlor created a shooting opportunity for James Devaney, but, unfortunately, the Borris-Ileigh man saw his shot from a narrow angle saved.


Thanks to efforts from Gearóid O’Connor and Kevin Maher Our Lady’s reduced the deficit to three (1-9 to 2-9) by the 33rd minute, but Hospital, who employed the sweeper system to startling effect, out-scored Templemore 0-7 to 0-3 between the 34th and 48th minutes. During this period Brian O’Grady landed four terrific points for the Limerick outfit while Dylan O’Shea (two frees) and Michael Martin also added to their side’s tally (1-12 to 2-16).

Hospital also fired seven wides and dropped five shots short during the opening twenty minutes of the second half while Templemore sighed with relief in the 49th minute when Aidan O’Heney found the side netting with Ciarán McCormack’s goal at his mercy.

Brian O’Grady and Dylan O’Shea (one free, one ’65) forced Hospital ten clear (1-12 to 2-19) by the 58th minute while Templemore ‘keeper Ciarán McCormack also did well to parry a stinging O’Grady effort.

Conor McGrath brought the scoring to a conclusion from an Our Lady’s point of view while Hospital closed out this contest in emphatic fashion when Dylan O’Shea added three late efforts (two frees).


Our Lady’s Templemore: Ciarán McCormack, Jamie Ryan, Fintan Purcell, Henry Fogarty, Shane Lowe, Kevin Maher (0-1, 0-1 frees), Lorcan Roche, John Campion (0-1), Kenny Ryan, Tony Cahill (0-1), Gearóid O’Connor (0-5, 0-2 frees), Conor Ryan (0-2), James Devaney (0-2, 0-2 frees), Dean Lawlor (1-0), Conor McGrath (0-1). Subs: (53rd) Eddie Ryan for Tony Cahill.

John The Baptist Community School, Hospital: Darragh McCauley, Killian Reale, Patrick Byrne, Mark Quinlan, Brian Heavey, Kevin Bonar, Alan Buckley, Eoin O’Mahony, Patrick Reale (0-1), Oisín O’Grady, Brian O’Grady (0-7), Michael Martin (0-3), Ryan Tobin (1-0), Dylan O’Shea (1-9, 0-7 frees, 0-1 ‘65s), Aidan O’Heney (0-2). Subs: (55th) Peter Morrissey for Oisín O’Grady, (59th) Jake Kennedy for Aidan O’Heney, (61st) Dean Heffernan for Patrick Reale.

Referee: Tommy Ryan (Kiladangan, Tipperary).


To keep up to date with all the sporting news in Tipperary please click here - to follow the Tipperary Star sports team on twitter please click here - to follow sports editor Brian McDonnell on Twitter please click here. Alternatively, you can also like the Tipperary Star on Facebook.