Moyle Rovers hold to to reach final

South MHC ‘A’ semi-final

South MHC ‘A’ semi-final

Moyle Rovers 1-14

Carrick Swan 1-11

On Saturday in Kilsheelan in the South MHC ‘A’ semi-
final, Moyle Rovers beat Carrick Swan by three points to reach the next Sunday’s decider..

Alec Owens got the scoring underway within second of the throw-in with a point from a free for Moyle.  Carrick Swans’ Lee Wall responded with a point. Conor Tobin scored Moyle Rovers first point from play while Alec Owens pointed again from a free.  Evan Hogan replied with another point from play for Carrick Swan.

Stephen Quirke added a point to Rovers’ tally.  It was then the turn of Carrick Swans free taker Mikey Loughman to show his ability, and he was just as accurate.  Alec Owens who was extremely accurate on the day added two points from play while Mickey Loughman replied with a point for Carrick Swan.  

A melee in the goalmouth saw Moyle Rovers goalie Philip Quirke and Carrick Swans wing forward Evan Hogan yellow carded as we were heading towards half time.  

Swan defenders Dale O’Hanlon and Colin Waters had managed to cut off the supply of ball to Rovers Ross Mulcahy in the first half but the one ball he managed to get his hand on he quickly passed it to Shane Lonergan who rattled the net for a goal to make it 1-6 to 0-5 at half time.

In the second half Carrick Swans Mickey Loughman opening the scoring with a point from a free
Moyle Rovers’ Alec Owens replied with two points from frees. Then Rovers centre back Kevin O’Donnell fielded a fantastic ball inside his own 65 yard line, made a excellent run up the field with Carrick Swans players trying their best to catch him, but he ended up being fouled around 50 yard from the Carrick goal and again Alec Owens stepped up and pointed with ease.  Ross Mulcahy added his name to the score sheet with a point for Rovers.  

Carrick Swan began to fight back, Martin Griffin scored a point from play while Mikey Loughman scored another from a 65.  Rovers’ Dominic Walsh replied with a point.  A collision near the sideline this time resulted in Moyle Rovers’ Chris Mulcahy and Carrick Swans Dean Fitzgerald seeing yellow cards. Mikey Loughman replied with two more points from frees to leave just four points between the sides.  Alec Owens yet again stepped up to point from a free.  

The Carrick defence was playing extremely well but Stephen Quirke managed to send the sliotar straight over the bar, while Dominic Walsh added another point for the Powerstown/Lisronagh side. Carrick were not willing to give up on a place in the South final and a great ball in to Bill Barrett saw him score a cracker of a goal with six minutes left to play to leave four points between the sides.  

The Rovers defence absolutely excelled themselves in the final minutes when Shane Luttrell, Paddy Morrissey, Chris Mulcahy and Kevin O’Donnell were outstanding and willing to do anything to defend their lead.  

Mickey Loughman in the final minute pointed a 65 to put just the goal between the sides but time ran out for the Carrick men.

Moyle Rovers: Philip Quirke, Brian Norris, Shane Luttrell, Aiden Butler, Paddy Morrissey, Kevin O’Donnell, Chris Mulcahy, Alec Owens, Brian Gleeson (capt), Stephen Quirke, Ross Mulcahy, Dominic Walsh, Shane Lonergan, Padraig Keating, Conor Tobin, Rian Clancy.

Carrick Swans: Kieran Lonergan, Sean Dunphy, Dale O’Hanlon, Scott Hogan, Gavin O’Halloran, Colin Waters, Colin Loughman, Derek Hogan, Lee Wall, Martin Griffin, Mikey Loughman, Dale O’Mahony, Evan Hogan, Bill Barrett, Dean Fitzgerald.

Referee - Andy Moloney (Cahir).