Search our Archive


Late Sweeney Effort Wins It For Loughmore

County SFC Castleiney 1-6 Fethard 1-5

County SFC

Castleiney 1-6 Fethard 1-5

Evan Sweeney pointed in the last minute of ordinary time to send Loughmore-Castleiney through to the county senior football semi-final following an incident packed and very entertaining encounter with Fethard at Littleton on Friday evening last. Fethard needed to win this game to keep their championship aspirations alive while Loughmore-Castleiney, as divisional champions, were guaranteed a quarter-final spot no matter what. The urgency on Fethard’s part was reflected in their first-half dominance. Their pacey, cohesive, approach had the Mid champions at full stretch, but a failure to turn possession into scores, and resolute defending by the Loughmore rearguard, kept the Fethard tally within manageable proportions for the eventual winners.

At half-time Fethard led by 1-3 to 0-2. Michael Dillon got their goal in the 27th minute when he reacted quickly to the rebound of a Kenneth O Donnell effort bravely stopped by Loughmore goalie David McGrath. Carl Maher(2) and Shane Aylward had the Fethard points in this period when a less elaborate approach might have yielded greater dividends.

The first talking point came at the break which had to be extended by fifteen minutes because of difficulties with the floodlighting. When the action resumed the early stages of the second half saw Fethard still pushing the pace with Carl Maher pointing a free in the 3rd minute. Liam Treacy responded for Loughmore two minutes later, but then came the incident which changed the game. See this weeks Tipperary Star for full story.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.