Tipp outclassed by far superior Cork in Munster hurling U/21 final

Eamon Lacey


Eamon Lacey

Tipperary minor hurling manager Liam Cahill (Ballingarry).

Tipp manager Liam Cahill was very disappointed with performance

Cork 2-23

Tipperary 1-13

Tipperary were totally outclassed in  the Munster Bord Gais Energy  U/21 hurling final in Pairc Ui Chaoimh  on Wednesday evening but remain in the hunt for All-Ireland honours despite the  drubbing.

Cork added the  U-21 hurling title to their senior crown won a few days ago, when they hammered a very disappointing Tipperary  who never came close to replicating their impressive semi final form when they easily accounted for a fancied Limerick team.

Tipp were simply outclassed in this game and were  defeated in all sectors of the field.  The Cork victory could have been more comprehensive had they kept the foot on the throttle for the full hour. As it was, they were hugely impressive, physically  dominant in a game  that turned into an exhibition for the home side in the second half. 

Tipperary missed a 3rd minute penalty when Darragh Woods effort was saved brilliantly by Cork keeper Ger Collins. And, from then on it was all Cork. They treated Tipperary to an exhibition of hurling and the visitors simply could not match their pacey hurling. 



The Cork goal came from Robbie O'Flynn in the 14th minute  and it gave Cork a 1-5 to 0-1 advantage. They pressed on again  and with five to go to the break, Cork held a 1-10 to 0-3 lead - Declan Dalton, Jack O'Connor, Shane Kingston, and Liam Healy getting on the scoreboard for them.

By the interval to gap was a ten point one - 1-12 to 0-5 and it looked as though there was no way back for Tipp. 

Cork applied further pressure on  Tipp from the re-start and they were determined that the Premier lads would not get any kind of a chance to gain a stranglehold. And, when Cork goaled in the 3rd minute of the second half  through Jack O'Connor, that was that. Game, set and match to Cork.

Tipperary continued to battle but they were simply blown out of the water. And, though they had a few goal chances in the second half they were unable to reel in the Rebels in any shape or form, even allowing for sub Shane Neville's  goal in injury time, which served only as a consolation score.

This was a disastrous  evening for Tipperary in Cork - one they will want to forget. But, they must get back on the horse immediately and ready themselves for the All-Ireland semi-final which takes place on the last weekend of the month.