09 Aug 2022

All-Ireland SF Qualifier: Second half Mayo blitz Tipperary

Tipp vs Mayo

Tipperary senior footballers took on Mayo in Semple Stadium this evening.

Despite being three points in arrears at the end of the third quarter, Mayo rally to win out by eight.

Mayo 1-19

Tipperary 1-11

A superb second half performance from Mayo saw them overturn a three point deficit to win out by eight in the All-Ireland senior football qualifier tie at Semple Stadium this evening.

It all seemed to be going well for Tipp as they led by three points entering the third quarter. But, Mayo blitzed them big time and the Premier challenge petered out - although the full time deficit did not reflect the level of endeavour from Liam Kearns men.

The roar which greeted the Mayo players onto the field of play as they emerged from under Ardan Ui Chuinneain was something to behold as their supporters by far outweighed the home side despite the long journey they had to ensure to get to a very warm and sunshine drenched  Semple Stadium.

Tipperary were well used to being regarded as underdogs and the tag probably suited them going into this game with all the pressure very firmly on last years All-Ireland senior football finalists. That tag counted for little when the ball was thrown in and Liam Kearns men were very determined to atone for their poor showing against Cork in the provincial semi-final.

Tipperary had started very slowly in the game were four points in arrears after just six minutes of play. Mayo were running riot and by the time Philip Austin had Tipp's first score in the 8th minute, it looked as though a real battle was on. It looked like being a very uncomfortable afternoon of play, but a real lifeline was cast in Tipp's direction when Michael Quinlivan fisted overhead on a Josh Keane centre to the net for a 9th minute equalising goal.

The green flag seemed to suck the momentum out of Mayo and Tipp took the lead through Philip Austin only for Mayo to equalise again through Kevin McLoughlin.

It was nip and tuck then until the end of the half by Mayo were dealt two big bodyblows with Seamus O'Shea going off injured in the 30th minute, while wing back Colm Boyle was black carded right on the stroke of the half time whistle which came some 42 minutes after the game had commenced.

By this stage, Tipperary had a 1-7 to 0-8 lead - a Michael Quinlivan wonder point got the Hawkeye approval much to the delight of the heavily outnumbered Tipp supporters who were finding plenty to cheer about. 

The turning point in the game came in the 18th minute of the second half  when a James Durcan  goal for Mayo tied up the game. Tipp had opened up a three point advantage and it was wiped out in the blink of an eye with Mayo moving on to dominate the rest of the half - they kicked 1-7 without reply to send their supporters home happy and into the Super 8's.

Tipperary's challenge petered out and how they rued missed chances when they were three in front - a four point cushion would have been a great psychological barrier but it wasn't to be and Tipp's season ended with gallant effort, but ultimately defeat.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.