Ballybacon/Grange the last Tipperary team left in Munster Club championship

Eamonn Wynne


Eamonn Wynne



Declan Walsh in action for Ballybacon/Grange when they beat Kenmare in the Munster Club Junior Hurling semi-final. Ballybacon play St. Catherine's of Cork in Sunday's semi-final in Ardfinnan.

The junior hurlers of Ballybacon/Grange, the last Tipperary team left in the Munster Club championships, entertain St. Catherine's from east Cork in the provincial semi-final on this Sunday afternoon.

The game goes ahead at Ardfinnan at 2pm.

Ballybacon made amends for their extra time defeat by Kildangan in last year's County Junior A Championship Final by beating Toomevara in this year's decider, played in Boherlahan last weekend.

That was the club's first county title success at adult level, and also ensured their return to the Intermediate grade.

They were inspired by the excellent Daniel O'Regan, who scored eight points from play in a man of the match performance, and he proved the difference between the teams. 

The steadying influence of former All Star goalkeeper Brendan Cummins was also important and he struck three fine points from long-range frees, so vital in so keenly contested a game.

Several other players including Billy Hewitt, Colin O'Gorman, Michael Barlow, Sean Nagle, Michael O'Sullivan and freetaker Aaron Lonergan also played key roles in the 0-19 to 1-11 win.

Ballybacon hammered Kenmare in a one-sided quarter-final a fortnight ago.

They were beaten by Ballyduff of Waterford in last year's Munster semi-final at Walsh Park, and if they're to go one better this year they'll have to defeat a St. Catherine's side that beat Brian Dillons by 0-13 to 0-12 in the replayed Cork Junior A Hurling Final played at Pairc Ui Rinn on Tuesday night.

The drawn game was played two days earlier.

Free-taker Ronan Clancy showed them the way with six points, including shooting the winning point from a free a minute from the end.

The occasion was extra-special for captain Daniel Mangan, Brian Mulcahy and Eoin Condon, who were also involved with the Imokilly team that won this year's Cork senior championship.  

The referee on Sunday is Limerick's Jason Mullins.

The other semi-final, between Ardmore of Waterford and Clare team Bodyke, goes ahead at the same time at the WIT grounds in Carriganore.

The final is fixed for Mallow on December 3rd.