Peter O'Reilly Cup Final

Killenaule Rovers lift Peter O'Reilly Cup after marathon battle with Ballyneale

Nearly 20 penalty kicks needed to decide winners

Killenaule Rovers lift Peter O'Reilly Cup after marathon battle with Ballyneale

Liam Clohessy (left), Chairman TSDL, presenting the Peter O'Reilly Cup to Sean Kennedy, captain Killenaule Rangers, following their win over Ballyneale in the Peter O'Reilly Cup final played.

Peter O’Reilly Cup Final


(Killenaule Rovers win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)

Killenaule Rovers have struggled for much of the season in Division Three, and went into this game as the underdogs against a Ballyneale team who are having their best season in a number of years.

But on this occasion Killenaule Rovers managed to put all the struggles of the season so far to bed, when they triumphed after a dramatic penalty shootout, that seemed to go on as long as the game itself.

 As befits a final with teams who have had little success of late, the game itself was a very tight affair, with both midfields dominating.

The Rovers probably had the better of the first half of the game and were denied the lead on a number of occasions by some very good defending from Ballyneale. Conor Sinnott and Michael Bolger were the pick of the attacking players in the game, but neither were able to force a goal home for Killenaule.

On the Ballyneale side the best of the chances fell to Thomas Grinsell and Dwaine Fogarty, but just as their own defence were playing well, the Killenaule back four were well capable to taking everything that was thrown at them.

The game finished scoreless in normal time and the sides were unable to break deadlock in the extra period.

The only way remaining  to decide a winner was from the penalty spot and this was where the excitement really kicked in as the teams shared almost 20 penalty kicks before Killenaule emerged as the winners on a five goal to four scoreline, to life the Peter O’Reilly Cup, to the delight of their travelling supporters.